Only 4 weeks till Christmas! This week City of Melbourne will be launching Christmas Square and Christmas Projection Show, the Gingerbread Village is back plus WIN tickets to Santa’s Christmas Spectacular.
I’ll be madly prepping for huge shopping days for The Big Design Market in Sydney (25-27 November) and Melbourne (2-4 December) so if you’re shopping at either market please come say hi to me at the CycleStyle stand. Have a great week!
- Night Noodle Markets (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 27 Nov ) – all the sights, sounds and smells of an Asian hawker market plus the buzz, hype and vibe of a huge outdoor festival. Last weekend.
- MPavilion (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 18 Dec) – An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
- Play Pod State Library of Victoria (Fri 25 Nov – Wed 30 Nov) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season and for Spring 2016 it’s inspired by Mr Chicken Arriva a Roma. READ THE REVIEW.
- Viktor & Rolf For Kids NGV (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 26 Feb) – interactive children’s gallery exhibition developed by designers Viktor & Rolf. FULL REVIEW.
- NGV Car Wash (Fri 25 Nov – April 2017) – enjoy a neon pink installation in the sculpture garden inspired by a car wash. FULL REVIEW.
- Deluxe Design Gift Market Fed Square (Fri 25 Nov) – The market features 75 stalls of independent design, ethical production and is proudly Melbourne-made.
- Japanese Festive Market (Fri 25 Nov – Thu 22 Dec) – Japanese-style market with a range of unique gifts and decorations to celebrate the season. Cute Japanese-inspired Christmas decoration craft kits and some bargains from the storeroom.
- Smurfs Exhibition Harbour Town (Fri 25 Nov – Sat 24 Dec) – Meet Smurfette, Lazy Smurf, Clumsy Smurf, Papa Smurf, Painter Smurf and many more.
- Christmas Square (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 25 Dec) – Discover nutcracker soldiers, interactive candy canes and get a free photo with Santa. As part of the TAC’s #BePresent campaign, a giant interactive present will find a home in Christmas Square. Deck yourself out in festive decorations for a free, personalised photo and Christmas card!
- Christmas at the Old Treasury (Fri 25 Nov – Thu 5 Jan) – The Maynard family’s basement home is decorated in period-appropriate 1920s decorations, some lovingly handmade just as mother would do.
- Myer Christmas Windows (Fri 25 Nov – Thu 5 Jan 2017) – The 61st Myer Christmas windows is based on the book ‘One Christmas Eve’ with a particularly Melbourne and Australian flavour. FULL REVIEW.
- Myer Giftorium and Santaland (Fri 25 Nov – Thu 5 Jan 2017) – Your one-stop Christmas shop plus meet Santa and ride on his train.
- Our Christmas Gift (Sat 26 Nov) – Enjoy a family concert spectacular sharing the joy of Christmas through carols, entertainment and music thanks to the Salvation Army.
- Crown’s Japanese Spring Festival (Sat 26 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – The Crown Riverwalk will be transformed into an oriental street festival with more than 20 stalls featuring Japanese food and family-friendly arts and crafts including calligraphy, origami and ikebana (flower arranging) workshops.
- Food Truck Rally Queen Victoria Market (Sat 26 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – Every Saturday and Sunday, Queen Street is closed to traffic to make way for a fun, safe, family friendly activation space with buskers and food truck.
- Christmas Treasure Hunt David Jones (Sat 26 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – Collect your Treasure Hunt Passport from the ground floor of David Jones Bourke Street and follow four steps for your chance to WIN.
- Santa’s Christmas Spectacular (Sat 26 Nov – Sun 18 Dec) – See the crazy acrobatic elves get themselves into all sorts of mischief in Santa’s Toy Workshop.
- Christmas Village Wonderland (Sat 26 Nov – Sun 18 Dec) – Live shows at the Spiegeltent, Christmas markets, live entertainment, festive food and more.
- Recycled Christmas (Sat 26 Nov – 13 Jan 2017) – See the Galleria Shopping Centre’s Christmas display, with decorations all made of materials recycled off the site.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 30 Nov) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
- Christmas Projection Show (Wed 30 Nov – Sun 25 Dec) – This Christmas will see City of Melbourne’s annual Christmas Projection Show at Melbourne Town Hall extend to Fed Square, decorating the Swanston Street facades with festive cheer.
- Christmas Cringe at Melbourne Central (Wed 30 Nov – Sat 24 Dec) – Deck yourself in Christmas jumpers and so-bad-they’re-good accessories, snap a pic in front of the classic Christmas backdrops, and share them with your friends and family on social media using the #ChristmasCringe hashtag. On 30 November is Melbourne Central is also hosting Christmas Shop the City with 12-hours of offers and events from 10am to 10pm.
- Gingerbread Village by Epicure (Thu 1 Dec – Sat 24 Dec) – Admire iconic Melbourne landmarks and locations all made out of gingerbread. Entry is by nominal gold coin donation and all proceeds go to the Royal Children’s Hospital.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Sweet Tooth Festival Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – Finally you can have chocolate, churros, donuts, ice-cream, waffles, crepes, vegan baked goods plus pretty much every other sweet fantasy all one place.Batman Market (Sat 26 Nov) – food trucks, free entertainment, jumping castle. FULL REVIEW.
- The Cashless Market (Sat 26 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – The Rose St. Artists’ Market will host over 70 of Melbourne’s leading makers, crafters, artists and market vendors who, for the very first time in Australia, will accept card and mobile payments, and go cashless for The Cashless Market.
- Diamond Valley Railway Eltham (Sun 27 Nov) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds.
- Melbourne Zoo VIP Shopping Night (Thu 1 Dec) – 30% off and door prizes, author appearances for book signings and activities.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 26 Nov) – weekly Saturday market with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- Community Mitzvah Day Celebration (Sun 27 Nov) – family fun, arts and craft, dance, guided tours, challah baking.
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom (Fri 25 Nov – Tue 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide.
- Frankston Christmas Festival of Lights (Sat 26 Nov) – Enjoying entertainment and activities including Santa’s grand arrival and the traditional lighting of the Christmas tree.
- East Malvern Food & Wine Festival (Sun 27 Nov) – the festival stalls will house countless dishes made with fresh local produce.
- Christmas Spectacular Sandown (Sun 27 Nov) – thrill rides and awesome entertainment including face painters and stilt walkers, live stage shows as well as your favourite carnival games, show bags, delicious food and special appearances by Santa
- CircaNICA Presents The Landscape Project (Fri 25 Nov – Sat 3 Dec) – Experience the extraordinary skills and creativity of Australia’s next generation of circus stars at NICA’s newest production – The Landscape Project: circus as a reaction to space, time and intensity. Witness the breathtaking performance from NICA’s 2016 graduating artists.
- Doncaster Food Truck Festival (Thu 24 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – food trucks, kids carnival, licensed bar.
- Cherry Picking Cherryhill Orchards (Fri 25 Nov – Jan 2017) – Pick your own cherries and enjoy cherry treats.
- Heide Makers’ Market (Sat 26 Nov) – Once a month visitors will find an eclectic mix of art, design and handcrafted goods all made with skill by a curated selection of stallholders.
- Indonesian Food & Trade Festival (Sat 26 Nov) – Indonesian cuisine, entertainment, drinks and workshops.
- Rowena Turns 60 (Sat 26 Nov) – Rowena Corner Store turns 60 with delicious Greek food straight from the spit, local Richmond beer from Moon Dog Brewery, wine and champagne to pop. Kids are more than welcome with facepainting activites and free milkshakes for the little ones.
- Joel, Troy and Scott Selwood Book Signing (Sun 27 Nov) – meet Joel, Troy and Scott Selwood in person, and get their books signed by the footballing trio.
- Yarra Valley Railway (Sun 27 Nov) – take a trip on the historic Walker RM22 Railmotor from Healesville to Tunnel Hill.
- Moonlit Markets Eastland (Thu 1 Dec) – Wander through a collection of covetable art, fashion, homewares and precious kids finds. Dance beneath the stars to a lineup of live entertainment, before sampling the selection of street food on offer.
- Healesville Sanctuary VIP Shopping Night (Thu 1 Dec) – 30% off and door prizes, author appearances for book signings and activities.
- Art and Industry Festival (Fri 25 Nov – Sun 27 Nov) – This inspiring new festival puts a spotlight on the local industrial creators and resources in the Hobsons Bay area that is home to craft brewers, carmakers, designers, oil tanks and treasured heritage buildings.
- Christmas window at Post Industrial Design (Fri 25 Nov – Jan 2017) – Jos Van Hulsen’s annual Christmas window.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 26 Nov) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 26 Nov) – Essendon Traffic School is a mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights.
- Santa’s Arrival Altona Gate (Sat 26 Nov) – free giveaways, entertainment and fun as Altona Gate welcomes Santa.
- Werribee Mercy Hospital Fair (Sat 26 Nov) – Funds raised on the day will assist us in delivering critical care at Werribee Mercy Hospital.
- The Colour Club Highpoint (Mon 28 Nov) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday.
- Scienceworks VIP Shopping Night (Wed 30 Nov) – 25% discount on all stock, gift for attending, free drinks.
- Toddl’Art FCAC (Wed 30 Nov) – toddler art classes for drop-in. READ THE REVIEW.
- Werribee Zoo VIP Shopping Night (Thu 1 Dec) – 30% off and door prizes, author appearances for book signings and activities.