Dinosaur World Somerville is a must-do for brave little dino fans. It’s an outdoor museum of animatronic dinosaurs setting up home in the Australian bush!
A T-Rex greets you as you enter the gates (which is also incongruously the entrance to the Somerville Christmas Tree Farm). Then pay your entry fee at the tempting dino-themed toy shop and find yourself in a prehistoric world with life-sized dinosaurs moving, blinking and roaring.
Note the realistic movements and sound effects may be too much for some children. Scaredy cat Lady AB doesn’t like it at all whereas Baby 2.0 is fascinated.
I also notice other younger children crying as they walk through the dino trail. So make your own judgement as to whether or not your child is likely to enjoy the experience.
After you walk through the bush track spotting dinosaurs you come out into an area with free BBQs, picnic areas, a playground and a marquee with dinosaur-themed activities, including a fossil hunt ($8 at entrance) and a few colouring activities and books.
We spend about an hour at Dinosaur World and probably could have stayed longer if Lady AB wasn’t so scared. It’s a small theme park so I suggest you have another stop up your sleeve – maybe The Hungry Peacock cafe and The Messy Shed messy play or The Big Goose animal farm further afield.
- Open weekends and school holidays only;
- Display involves loud noises and life like animatronics;
- You’ll probably spend around 1-2 hours there depending on how many activities you participate in;
- Digging for fossils costs an extra $8 per child and payable at entry;
- Only toilets are just outside the entrance so go before you enter!
- Suitable for prams though the paths are dirt tracks;
- Snack food and sausage sizzle is available onsite (weekends only 12pm-2pm);
- Party bookings accepted;
- Free parking on site; and
- combine your visit with a trip to The Hungry Peacock cafe and The Messy Shed messy play or The Big Goose animal farm further afield.
Dinosaur World, Cnr Frankston-Flinders Rd and O’Neills Road, Somerville (03) 5977 3018
Open every weekend 10am – 4pm except Good Friday, Melbourne Cup Day, 25 December – 1 January.
Open every day in school holidays 10am – 4pm
Closed June, July and August
Family Pass (2 Adults, 2 Children) $50
Children Under 2yo FREE
Dig and Discover $8