Hope you’re all enjoying this glorious Spring weather and gearing up for the school holidays. In the meantime, here’s a bumper list of events happening this week!
- Fake Food Park NGV (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – last week of children’s gallery exhibition where you can play with food.
- Play Pod new season State Library of Victoria (Fri 9 Sep – Wed 30 Nov) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. This season be inspired by Australian Children’s Laureate Leigh Hobbs’ newest book Mr Chicken arriva a Roma, explore the wonders of ancient Rome, create giant bowls of spaghetti and take your tourist snaps!. READ THE REVIEW.
- Feast of Footy Queen Victoria Market (Sat 10 Sep) – kids inflatable zone, take part in the Specky Challenge or test your limits on The Bucking Footy.
- Mooncake Festival Queen Victoria Market (Sun 11 Sep) – street food stalls, musical and dance performances and a kids activity zone.
- Under 4s NGV (Wed 14 Sep) – Discover the Gallery through looking and making activities in this specially developed program for young children and their parents or carers.
- Play Artplay (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 30 Oct) – Move amongst this fun collection of bright sculptural forms, inspired by the colour theories of Rudolph Steiner. FULL REVIEW
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- All-American Food Truck Block Party Preston (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – vibrant, edgy and attractive venue offering Melbourne’s favourite food trucks on rotation, events and entertainment. FULL REVIEW.
- Hank Marvin Market (Sat 3 Sep) – weekly market of fresh produce and food trucks with awesome playground at Alma Park.
- One Fine Baby Carlton (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – delicious food and entertainment and shop for beautiful products from local makers.
- Open Days at Como House (Sat 10 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – weekend guided tours which cover the history of the property and the families who lived there.
- Farmers Market Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 10 Sep) – buy fresh produce and stay all day for $2 adult kids free. READ THE REVIEW.
- Diamond Valley Railway Eltham (Sun 11 Sep) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds.
- Behind the Scenes Tours Melbourne Museum (Tue 13 Sep – Wed 14 Sep) – Hear from museum experts and see some of the museum’s 17-million objects, many of which have never been seen by the public before.
- Jurassic World Melbourne Museum (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 2 Oct) – exhibition is based on Universal Pictures’ Jurassic World. READ THE REVIEW.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- NICA presents Empty Bodies (Fri 9 Sep – Sat 10 Sep) – Empty Bodies presents 28 talented artists that will amaze and astound with an assortment of solo and group acts.
- Dandenong Festival of Lights (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 9 Oct) – Celebrating Chinese culture through a display of over 500 beautiful and unique silk lanterns. WIN TICKETS
- Trailer Park at The Village (Sat 10 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – Melbourne’s finest food trucks gather in the Village Garden. Each weekend will showcase food from a different continent.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 11 Sep) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Peppa Pig Live! St Kilda (Tue 13 Sep) – PEPPA PIG LIVE! BIG SPLASH features wonderful, true-to-life puppets and a live cast featuring some of Australia’s most talented musical theatre artists.
- Fairy Petunia at South Melbourne Market (Wed 14 Sep) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Chadstone Spring Shopping event (Thu 15 Sep) – special offers and events including childrens workshops.
- Box Hill Area Toy Library 30th Birthday (Sun 11 Sep) – indoor and outdoor activities, some messy play, face painting, crafts, a ‘race track’ and lots more.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 11 Sep) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and face painting for the kids.
- Eastland Farmers Market (Sun 11 Sep) – weekly farmers market and check out the new interactive children’s play areas.
- Koala Forest Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 16 Sep) – Journey along the boardwalk through the Manna Gums of the new Koala Forest exhibit.
- Tesselaar Tulip Festival (Fri 9 Sep– Tue 4 Oct) – Visit the tulip farm and enjoy the tulip-themed activities. READ THE REVIEW.
- Little Red Train Werribee (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – take a trackless train ride through picturesque Werribee Park. FULL REVIEW.
- Maribyrnong Makers Market (Sat 10 Sep) – community-based arts and craft market.
- West Projections (Fri 9 Sep – Sun 11 Sep) – States of Blue will illuminate creative spaces, VU campus, businesses and public places. Discover 18+ unique sites, each showing specially commissioned artwork.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 10 Sep) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games. FULL REVIEW.
- Little Art Big Art Laverton (Sat 10 Sep) – free art workshops for kids.
- Astrolight Festival Scienceworks (Sat 10 Sep) -family-friendly event features illuminating talks, shows and hands-on optics activities or stargaze with astronomers and explore art installations. WIN TICKETS
- Sunshine Lantern Festival (Sun 11 Sep) – Fireworks, Dragon and Lion Dancing, Music and Dance, Twilight Lantern Parade, Street Performers and Rides.
- The Colour Club Highpoint (Mon 12 Sep) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday