The new Sunshine Library opens today Monday 25 July and we can assure you that it’s worth a visit!
The new building is at the library’s former location at 301 Hampshire Road Sunshine, in the hub of Sunshine CBD. It’s part of the new Brimbank Community and Civic Centre which incorporates offices, a customer service centre, community meeting spaces, exhibition spaces and the Sunshine Historical Society offices.
The huge new library spans the first two floors.
The library features large double height reading lounges, quiet study booths and rooms, computers, gaming areas and a Wi-Fi lounge. Free Wifi is available.
The children’s area is on the first floor (accessible by stairs or lift). It has brightly coloured beanbags scattered throughout – both adult and kids sized…
… deep tiered reading pit and amphitheatre, perfect for for climbing, chatting or story times…
….and a cushioned reading nook for quiet reading.
The highlight has got to be the slide! It is part of a heated outdoor play area on the balcony with a chalkboard.
There is a small toy library adjoining the bookshelves and all the toys can be borrowed out (but not to be played with inside the library). They are so new they are still in their packaging!
A small coffee–cart style café (perhaps run by a social enterprise) is planned in the area between the library and customer service centre.
Sunshine Library is celebrating the opening with a free Family Fun Day on Saturday 6 August with storytime, magic shows, facepainting and more and a broader community open day on Sunday 14 August from 10.30am-2pm. If you prefer a quieter experience then I recommend visiting in the mornings as these events are sure to be popular!
- Anyone can join the Brimbank Library service (which includes Sunshine Library), you don’t need to be a resident of Brimbank. Just bring in some photo ID with proof of address.
- Toys can be borrowed out from the toy library in the same way as books (max 2 toys for 14 days);
- Maximum 30 books/toys/media can borrowed at one time;
- Walking distance to Sunshine train station and Sunshine CBD;
- Limited free street parking, otherwise try parking at one of the nearby shopping centres; and
- My favourite places to eat in Sunshine include Pho Hien Saigon and Xuan Banh Con.
Sunshine Library, Brimbank Community and Civic Centre, 301 Hampshire Rd, Sunshine (03) 9249 4640