Winter has well and truly arrived so this week you might need some ideas for indoor play spots in Melbourne (photo from the updated review of Keeper Kids at Melbourne Zoo). Having said that, we’re hanging outdoors this week – I’m running the last series of Westie Women Food Rides and we’ll be heading to the Brimbank Bike Education Centre monthly open day. Have a great week!
CBD / Docklands
- Family Fun Days at Harbour Town (Sat 4 June – Sun 5 Jun) – free events every weekend including jumping castles, balloon modelling, animal farms and face painting. Until 19 June.
- Pirate Sunday at Polly Woodside (Sun 5 Jun) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 5 Jun) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Spice Trade Queen Victoria Market (Sun 5 Jun) – Enjoy a culinary journey along the ancient Silk Road, live entertainment, camel rides through the Market and other enchanting attractions. Every Sunday until 26 June.
- NGV Unplugged (Sun 5 Jun) – art and music meet at the NGV every Sunday until 10 July.
- Flour Market Melbourne Central (Thu 9 Jun) – Melbourne’s best bakers and sweet makers every Thursday in June 3-7pm.
- The Light in Winter Fed Square (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 17 Jul) – program of art, music and performance from dusk.
- Winter in Fed Square (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 17 Jul) – huge program of events, performances, exhibitions and culinary delights.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 8 Jun) -crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. Until Wed 31 Aug. READ THE REVIEW.
- Touch and Go Artplay (Fri 3 Jun – Sat 4 Jun) – Touch and Go invites two-year-old children and their adults into a special interactive performance game.
- Fictional Factory Artplay (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 5 Jun) – free exhibition of an imaginary factory built by kids and artists Isobel Knowles and Cat Rabbit. READ THE REVIEW
- Singin’ in the Rain (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 3 Jul) – spectacular show is packed full of the charm, romance, comedy and Tinseltown glamour of one of the world’s best-loved movies. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Sound of Music (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 31 Jul) – classic film live on stage.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Introducing Teddy Carlton (Fri 3 Jun) –Jessica Walton, Dougal MacPherson, Bloomsbury and The Little Bookroom invite you to celebrate the publication of INTRODUCING TEDDY!
- Great Moscow Circus Heidelberg (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 12 Jun) – high energy and exciting new 2-hour production to be presented under the Grand Bigtop.
- Batman Market (Sat 4 Jun) – food, fresh produce and unique local products.
- Uimi Winter Garage Sale Thornbury (Sat 4 Jun) – fashion/accessories, kids blankets/accessories and homewares at bargain prices.
- Vegan & Vegetarian Food Truck Fest Preston (Fri 3 Jun – Sat 4 Jun) – Bringing Melbourne the best in vegetarian and vegan street food vendors for World Environment Day. READ THE REVIEW.
- World Environment Day Family Fun Day Heidelberg (Sun 5 Jun) – fun activities that teach children about recycling, reusing and reducing their waste.
- Swagger Child Design Market North Melbourne (Sun 5 Jun) – seasonal children’s style market.
- Ginger Green Play Date Queen launch Carlton (Sun 5 Jun) –Kim Kane, Hardie Grant Egmont and The Little Bookroom invite you to the series launch of GINGER GREEN, PLAY DATE QUEEN!
- Diamond Valley Railway Eltham (Sun 5 Jun) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds.
- Be a Wild Child Melbourne Zoo (Fri 3 Jun – Fri 24 Jun) – Kids can dress up as a field researcher, climb aboard the research jeep, visit the field tent to collect their equipment and imagine finding endangered wildlife in the new addition to the popular Keeper Kids. READ THE REVIEW.
- Jurassic World Melbourne Museum (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 9 Oct) – exhibition is based on Universal Pictures’ Jurassic World. READ THE REVIEW.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Micador warehouse sale Dandenong (Fri 3 Jun – Sat 4 Jun) – bargains from 50c.
- Mornington Railway (Sun 5 Jun) – Climb aboard the Mornington Railway steam train for a fun-filled outing.
- Circus Fun Dandenong Market (Sun 5 Jun) – marvel at circus performances, be confounded by magic tricks and become a mini magician with our workshops.
- Fairy Petunia at South Melbourne Market (Wed 8 Jun) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Things Not of This EARTH! Prahran (Wed 8 Jun – Sat 18 Jun) – fourteen of National Institute of Circus Art’s final year artists present spectacular solo acts including; Chinese pole, contortion, aerial, tightwire, and trapeze all presented against the backdrop of a sci-fi inspired “B movie”.
- Maroondah Toy Library Stay & Play (Sat 4 June) – facilitated play session every 2nd Saturday of the month.
- Local Market Co Ringwood (Sat 4 June) – Stalls ranging from homewares & decor, children’s goods, pre loved & brand new clothing, skincare, herbs & spices, pet goods, jewellery & artwork.
- Eastland Farmers Market (Sun 5 Jun) – weekly farmers market and check out the new interactive children’s play areas.
- Meet our Little Burrowers Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 3 Jun – Fri 24 Jun) – head underground with some of Australia’s iconic burrowing species including echidnas, wombats and platypus.
- 5 Rhythms Dance Footscray (Fri 3 Jun) – drop-in music and dance class for under 5s. READ THE REVIEW.
- Emerge in the West Footscray (Sat 4 Jun) – celebrating emerging African arts, culture and small businesses.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 4 Jun) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- Enterprize Sail Geelong (Sat 4 Jun -Sun 5 Jun) – 1 hour sail on tall ship Enterprize comes to Geelong.
- Go Wild for Bandicoots Werribee Zoo (Sun 5 Jun) – Dancing, face-painting, lantern-making and more to celebrate World Environment Day.
- Brimbank Bike Education Centre open day (Sun 5 Jun) – open day for public to visit Brimbank bike education centre.
- Kidspot Baby & Kids Market Flemington (Sun 5 Jun) – 100 stalls selling boutique products to quality preloved goods. Free kids entertainment and a cafe on site.
- Mamma Knows West kids market (Sun 5 Jun) – pre-loved, vintage and Australian Made handcrafted goodies plus free storytime, craft, wildlife zoo, face painting, cake stall.
- Jazz-a-bye Baby Footscray (Sun 5 Jun) – PBS 106.7 FM’s popular Rock-a-Bye Baby sessions Sydney Ethio-funksters Mister Ott bring their irresistible and infectious grooves to Footscray for Melbourne International Jazz Festival.
- Little Kids Day In at Scienceworks (Mon 6 Jun) – fun day especially for kids aged under 6 years, their parents and carers, with special programs and no school groups.
- I’m a knight! Geelong (Mon 6 Jun – Fri 24 Jun) – Learn to be a knight through stories, songs and games at National Wool Museum.
- Learning to Roar Werribee Open Range Zoo (Fri 3 Jun – Fri 24 Jun) – See our growing cubs at play, meet their Keepers and learn how to prowl, pounce and roar like a Lion.
- Unmasking the Wild Geelong (Fri 3 Jun – Sun 3 Jul) – Auction and exhibition of masks by Australian Children’s Book Illustrators at Geelong Regional Library.