Bulla Hill Railway is a fun and cheap day out for little train and dinosaur fans, with enough to amuse amuse toddlers and preschoolers for a half-day adventure.
The miniature railway is operated by the Tullamarine Live Steam Society, a volunteer hobby club, and they run steam and diesel locomotive rides for the public every first and third Sunday of the month.
For $3 a ticket you get to trundle around the ‘dinosaur trail’ – a 1.5km track high on the hill where you can even spot Mt Macedon on a clear day.
There are lots of ‘look mum’ moments as Lady AB spots a stegosaurus, brachiosaurus and T-rex during the 10 minute ride.
In between rides you can hang out at the Bulla Recreation Reserve train-themed playground.
There are five picnic shelters and two coin operated BBQ shelters and shelters can be reserved for the day for $50 which includes 10 tickets for train rides. Plus there’s lots of grass to set up a picnic and you can even set up your own portable gazebo or portable BBQ in the picnic area. There are also a gazebo and picnic tables in the council reserve next to the railway. At the station there’s toilet facilities and a small kiosk selling snacks and souvenirs.
Being a bit further out from Melbourne CBD and with twice-monthly open days, the Bulla Hill Railway doesn’t seem to be as busy as the Box Hill Miniature Steam Railway and Altona Miniature Railway. The facilities means that it’s a great spot for parties or catch-ups or a simple family day out.
- arrive before the first train at 12pm and buy your tickets in advance so you can you can be on the first trains;
- no open toed shoes, sandals or thongs allowed on the train;
- tickets are cash only;
- free parking on site;
- train-theme playground next to railway;
- BYO food, small kiosk and no cafes nearby (driving distance only);
- public toilets with change facilities;
- Two coin operated BBQ shelters and five picnic shelters. Shelters can be reserved for the day for $50 which includes 10 tickets for train rides. Reservations can be made by emailing Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, contact phone number and the reservation date in your email; and
- gazebo and picnic tables in the council reserve next to the railway.
Bulla Hill Railway, Bulla Recreation Reserve, 15 Green St, Bulla
Public Running Day is every first and third Sunday of the month 12pm-4pm
$3 per train ride