Hello winter! We’ve had a lot of fun this week exploring the Megasaurus playground and the Little Red Train and next week we’ll be heading to the opening of the Winter Night Market and The Light in Winter!
CBD / Docklands
- NGV Pop Up Sale (Fri 27 May – Sun 29 May) – discounts on a range of books, past exhibition and general merchandise.
- Kirat Festival at Birrarung Marr (Sat 28 May) – Experience the rich traditions and culture of the Kirat people from Nepal.
- Disney’s Frozen High Tea (Sat 28 May) – Enjoy a themed buffet High Tea with music, film footage and activities at Sofitel Melbourne.
- Family Fun Days at Harbour Town (Sat 28 May – Sun 29 May) – free events every weekend including jumping castles, balloon modelling, animal farms and face painting. Until 19 June.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 29 May) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Imaginary Pets Artplay (Sun 29 May) – Make an imaginary pet with simple materials and then bring it to life through drawing with visual artist Helen Kocis Edwards. READ THE REVIEW.
- Spice Trade Queen Victoria Market (Sun 29 May) – Enjoy a culinary journey along the ancient Silk Road, live entertainment, camel rides through the Market and other enchanting attractions. Every Sunday until 26 June.
- The Light in Winter Fed Square (Wed 1 Jun – Sun 17 Jul) – program of art, music and performance from dusk.
- Winter in Fed Square (Wed 1 Jun – Sun 17 Jul) – huge program of events, performances, exhibitions and culinary delights.
- Winter Night Market Queen Victoria Market (Wed 1 Jun) -crackling fires, mulled wine and a revolving line-up of roving entertainers and live music, over 30 street vendors and designer and artisan stalls. Until Wed 31 Aug. READ THE REVIEW.
- Touch and Go Artplay (Wed 1 Jun – Sun 4 Jun) – Touch and Go invites two-year-old children and their adults into a special interactive performance game.
- Introducing Teddy, The Transgender Bear (Thu 2 Jun) – Sally Goldner speaks with author Jess Walton and Tina Healy (Jess’s dad) about their personal journeys, broad transgender issues and the need for gender diverse books for young readers (and adults).
- Fictional Factory Artplay (Fri 27 May – Sun 5 Jun) – free exhibition of an imaginary factory built by kids and artists Isobel Knowles and Cat Rabbit. READ THE REVIEW
- Singin’ in the Rain (Fri 27 May – Sun 3 Jul) – spectacular show is packed full of the charm, romance, comedy and Tinseltown glamour of one of the world’s best-loved movies. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Sound of Music (Fri 27 May – Sun 31 Jul) – classic film live on stage.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Great Moscow Circus Heidelberg (Thu 26 May – Thu 2 Jun) – high energy and exciting new 2-hour production to be presented under the Grand Bigtop.
- Latin Fiesta Party at Preston Food Truck Park (Fri 27 May – Sun 29 Jun) – Melbourne’s Latin food trucks at family friendly food truck park. READ THE REVIEW.
- Batman Market (Sat 28 May) – food, fresh produce and unique local products.
- Diamond Valley Railway Eltham (Sun 29 May) – miniature railway and two adventure playgrounds.
- Be a Wild Child Melbourne Zoo (Fri 27 May – Fri 24 Jun) – Kids can dress up as a field researcher, climb aboard the research jeep, visit the field tent to collect their equipment and imagine finding endangered wildlife in the new addition to the popular Keeper Kids.
- Jurassic World Melbourne Museum (Fri 27 May – Sun 9 Oct) – exhibition is based on Universal Pictures’ Jurassic World. READ THE REVIEW.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Circus Fun Dandenong Market (Sun 29 May) – marvel at circus performances, be confounded by magic tricks and become a mini magician with our workshops.
- Fairy Petunia at South Melbourne Market (Wed 1 Jun) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Stonnington Reconcilliation Week Community Celebration Prahran (Thu 2 Jun) – Enjoy a Welcome to Country by the Boon Wurrung Traditional Owners, a dance performance and workshop by the Indigenous Hip-Hop Crew, food and refreshments! Everyone is welcome!
- Melbourne Rebels Fan Day (Sun 29 May) – inflatable rides, player signings, a photo booth, live entertainment and giveaways.
- Cheeky Monkey Market Doncaster (Sun 29 May) – monthly market of unique one of a kind pieces.
- Eastland Farmers Market (Sun 29 May) – weekly farmers market and check out the new interactive children’s play areas.
- Rocky Road Festival of Flavours Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 27 May – Tue 31 May) – 31 flavours of rocky road to discover.
- Meet our Little Burrowers Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 27 May – Fri 24 Jun) – head underground with some of Australia’s iconic burrowing species including echidnas, wombats and platypus.
- Kids Mornings Westfield Knox (Tue 31 May) – free kids events and workshops every Tuesday 10am – 1pm.
- The Other Side of Summer Hawthorn (Wed 1 Jun) – launch of Emily Gale’s new YA novel, The Other Side of Summer.
- Mexican Fiesta Fundraiser Wyndham Vale (Fri 27 May) – fun fundraising night at Shoestring Garden!
- 5 Rhythms Dance Footscray (Fri 27 May) – drop-in music and dance class for under 5s. READ THE REVIEW.
- Family Fun Day Offspring Education Melton (Sat 28 May) – fundraiser with jumping castle, face painting, art and craft, outdoor games.
- Toddler Circus Footscray (Sat 28 May) – circus class for 18 month -5 year olds. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Colour Club at Highpoint (Mon 30 May) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday.
- Learning to Roar Werribee Open Range Zoo (Fri 27 May – Fri 24 Jun) – See our growing cubs at play, meet their Keepers and learn how to prowl, pounce and roar like a Lion.
- Unmasking the Wild Geelong (Fri 27 May – Sun 3 Jul) – Auction and exhibition of masks by Australian Children’s Book Illustrators at Geelong Regional Library.