Last week of the school holidays, Nature Play Week and the last weekend of Our Land is Alive: Hermannsburg Potters at NGV Australia and Jurassic Creatures dinosaurs in Docklands. Where will your adventures take you this week?
CBD / Docklands
- Easter activities at Eureka Skydeck (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – FREE Easter-themed bunny ear making and colour-in activities.
- School Holidays at Immigration Museum (Fri 8 Apr – Sat 9 Apr) – contribute your story to the River + Stones interactive installation.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at O’Brien Arena (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – A unique toddler experience in shoes or skates every day of the school holidays.
- Our Land is Alive: Hermannsburg Potters at NGV Australia (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – last weekend of children’s exhibition of indigenous artists’ pottery. READ THE REVIEW.
- Jurassic Creatures (Fri 8 Apr -Sun 10 Apr) – Jurassic Creatures, featuring Prehistoric Creatures of the Ice is an interactive walk through event that will captivate young and old alike. READ REVIEW.
- Kids Comedy at Melbourne International Comedy Festival (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 17 Apr) – comedy events for kids.
- Designer High Tea The Langham (Fri 8 Apr – Thu 14 Apr) – school holiday high tea especially for teens (but kids can still go!).
- Stunt Lounge Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 8 Apr – Sat 9 Apr) – Witness the future of Australian circus from five talented graduates of the famous Flying Fruit Fly Circus.
- The 52 Storey Treehouse Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 17 Apr) – Andy and Terry’s Treehouse is now 52 storeys high, with yet more fantastic inventions: a rocket-powered carrot launcher, the Disguise-o-matic 5000 and even a Ninja Snail Training Academy!
- Rain Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 8 Apr – Sat 9 Apr) – interactive and tranquil space, discovering connections to rain through music, touch and performance.
- Silk Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 8 Apr – Sat 9 Apr) – Experience a spectacular array of silky ribbons, fabrics and nets that are woven, tied and pegged to make beautifully simple hanging sculptures. READ THE REVIEW
- School holidays Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – Enjoy special penguin themed activities including presentations, an interactive penguin discovery table and a fun activity booklet. READ THE REVIEW.
- Fictional Factory Artplay (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 5 Jun) – free exhibition of an imaginary factory built by kids and artists Isobel Knowles and Cat Rabbit.
- Artplay Backyard (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 24 Apr) – free drop-in outdoor play session.
- Spice Trade Queen Victoria Market (Sun 10 Apr) – Enjoy a culinary journey along the ancient Silk Road, live entertainment, camel rides through the Market and other enchanting attractions. Every Sunday until 26 June.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Bush Playgroup Merri Creek (Fri 8 Apr) – all weather, outdoor playgroup that meets weekly along the Merri Creek.
- SMILE CRY book launch The Little Bookroom (Sat 9 Apr) – Piglet, Bunny and Cat masks to make; Pages to colour; Balloons; Bubbles (for grown ups); and LIVE MUSIC for the kids!
- Inside the Brick Darebin (Sat 9 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – lego displays and brick building activities.
- Bike Life Festival Brunswick (Sun 10 Apr) – free entertainment, giveaways and live music including craft bike workshop and Book Swap Bike for kids.
- Nature Play in the Banyule Flats (Sun 10 Apr) – Hunt out the nature-based activities and find out more about the local flora and fauna as you explore the Banyule Flats Reserve.
- Reach Out with Ranger Rich Fitzroy North (Sun 10 Apr) – Ranger Rich helps to inspire kids to engage with nature!
- Platypus Picnic Eltham (Tue 13 Apr) – Come along and learn about this very secretive animal.
- School holidays at Melbourne Zoo (Fri 8 Apr – Fri 24 Jun) – Kids can dress up as a field researcher, climb aboard the research jeep, visit the field tent to collect their equipment and imagine finding endangered wildlife in the new addition to the popular Keeper Kids.
- School holidays at Melbourne Museum (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – Immerse yourself in a world of animals and eggs at Melbourne Museum’s autumn school holiday egg program.
- Jurassic World Melbourne Museum (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 9 Oct) – exhibition is based on Universal Pictures’ Jurassic World. READ THE REVIEW.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Nature Mobiles McClelland Sculpture Park (Fri 8 Apr) – Join us for a walk around the sculpture park, collecting natures treasures as we go, then use them to make your own nature mobile to take home.
- VIVA Youth Festival Prahran (Sat 9 Apr) – where youth culture and street culture collide with skateboarding, basketball, street art, dance, DJs, food stalls and even a mechanical bull.
- Autumn Fun in the Dandenongs (Sun 10 Apr) – Alfred Nicholas Memorial Gardens activities.
- Natured Kids Carrum (Mon 12 Apr – Tue 13 Apr) – help plant a leafy green sanctuary, a ‘food forest’ for injured Koalas and possums at Carrum Indigenous nursery.
- Woodland’s Nature Play Walk (Tue 13 Apr) – Activities based around a children’s book are provided along the path trail at the Woodland’s Picnic Area.
- Bug Detectives Murrumbeena (Wed 14 Apr) – Exploring the wonderful world of bugs in Glen Eira.
- Nature Play Day Royal Botanic Gardens (Thu 14 Apr) – Float a boat in the rill, play in autumn leaves, or build a cubby with bamboo.
- School holidays at Dandenong Market (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – Kids craft workshops.
- The Frog Prince Tivoli Theatre Malvern East (Fri 8 Apr– Sat 9 Apr) – Panto, traditional lemon drink and fairy bread!
- Build a bush bark shelter at Australian Gardens Cranbourne (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 17 Apr) – uild your own bush bark shelter using natural bushland plant material.
- Nature Treasure Hunt (Fri 8 Apr) – Parks Victoria is hosting the biggest nature treasure hunt in Australia for Nature Play Week! Locations in Melbourne include Westerfolds Park Templestowe.
- Ecotopia Junction Festival 2016 (Sun 10 Apr) – family friendly Earth Festival. The theme this year is ‘River to Sea’.
- School holidays at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 8 Apr – Fri 24 Jun) – head underground with some of Australia’s iconic burrowing species including echidnas, wombats and platypus.
- Ice Age Live! (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – The arena spectacular brings to life the critically-acclaimed, smash-hit Ice Age movies, with everyone’s favourite characters Sid, Manny, Diego and of course Scrat!
- Nature Treasure Hunt (Fri 8 Apr) – Parks Victoria is hosting the biggest nature treasure hunt in Australia for Nature Play Week! Locations in Melbourne include Jawbone Sanctuary Williamstown, Brimbank Park Keilor.
- Bush playgroup Sunshine (Fri 8 Apr) – babies & toddlers and their carers to explore & enjoy a bush environment at Maribyrnong River bush corridor.
- School holidays Scienceworks (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – free Trick of Light show, newest daily show, The Light Spectacular and solar sleuths.
- School holidays at Werribee Open Range Zoo (Fri 8 Apr – Fri 24 Jun) – See our growing cubs at play, meet their Keepers and learn how to prowl, pounce and roar like a Lion.
- The Adventures of Robin at Kryal Castle (Fri 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – series of themed school holiday performances and activities celebrating of the legendary medieval outlaw, Robin Hood. READ THE REVIEW.
- Kung Fu Panda Pacific Werribee (FrI 8 Apr – Sun 10 Apr) – live show and meet Po.
- Arty Tales Incinerator Gallery (Mon 11 Apr) – 3 – 5 year olds will join Beth Martin as she introduces them to the world of the art-gallery through artistic play and storytelling.