First week back of Term 2 but don’t let the adventures stop! Where will you be heading this week? We’re going to Artplay for Cerita Anak and Imaginary Pets and the launch of the Big Freeze Festival which is coming to Melbourne in July. (Image from Studio Cats at NGV International)
CBD / Docklands
- BBC Proms Classics for Kids Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 15 Apr – Sat 16 Apr) – interactive concerts feature repertoire by the very best classical composers, especially Haydn and Mozart and are designed to capture the hearts, minds and imaginations of small children (aged 2-8).
- The 52 Storey Treehouse Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 15 Apr – Sun 17 Apr) – Andy and Terry’s Treehouse is now 52 storeys high, with yet more fantastic inventions: a rocket-powered carrot launcher, the Disguise-o-matic 5000 and even a Ninja Snail Training Academy!
- Cerita Anak Artplay (Fri 15 Apr – Fri 22 Apr) – Cerita Anak takes the true story of a child adrift on the ocean and weaves together mythology and real stories to make a drama on the high seas for very young audiences.
- Federation Square Book Market with Michael Camilleri (Sat 16 Apr) – Meet Michael Camilleri at the Books Illustrated stand and watch him draw. Camilleri illustrated the multi award-winning bookOne Minute’s Silence by David Metzenthen.
- Scarecrow Making – Fed Square Pop Up Patch (Sun 17 Apr) – Bring the kids to Fed Square’s rooftop veggie garden, Pop Up Patch, and help them make their very own scarecrow to take home.
- Fictional Factory Artplay (Fri 15 Apr – Sun 5 Jun) – free exhibition of an imaginary factory built by kids and artists Isobel Knowles and Cat Rabbit. READ THE REVIEW
- Artplay Backyard (Sun 17 Apr) – free drop-in outdoor play session. READ THE REVIEW.
- Studio Cats at NGV International (Fri 15 Apr – Sun 25 Apr) – children’s exhibition in conjunction with Andy Warhol | Ai Wei Wei exhibition. READ THE REVIEW.
- Spice Trade Queen Victoria Market (Sun 17 Apr) – Enjoy a culinary journey along the ancient Silk Road, live entertainment, camel rides through the Market and other enchanting attractions. Every Sunday until 26 June.
- Imaginary Pets Artplay (Sun 17 Apr) – Make an imaginary pet with simple materials and then bring it to life through drawing with visual artist Helen Kocis Edwards.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at O’Brien Arena (Sun 17 Apr) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Nature Memory Box (Fri 15 Apr) – Join one of Edendale farmers on a nature and animal hunt around Edendale.
- Fitzroy Market (Sat 16 Apr) – Monthly market of delicious pastries and food, second-hand clothing books and other items, handmade crafts, plants
- Arthur and the Curiosity book launch Carlton (Sat 16 Apr) – Lucinda Gifford, Five Mile Press and The Little Bookroom invite you to the launch of ARTHUR AND THE CURIOSITY.
- Nillumbik Youth Festival Eltham (Sat 16 Apr) – local bands, theatre, RUCCIS circus,Massive FAM, henna artists, African drumming, art stalls, delicious food from around the world and heaps more.
- St Vincent’s Scrubs Run (Sun 17 Apr) – fundraising run with music, roaming entertainment, BBQ and food vans, a jumping castle, kids’ activities.
- The Makers and Shakers Market Coburg (Sun 17 Apr) – indoor, curated, retail event that brings together people who care about where things come from, how things are made and what they are made of.
- I am Doodle Cat book launch Carlton (Thu 21 Apr) – Scribe Publications and The Little Bookroom invite you to the launch of I AM DOODLE CAT.
- Be a Wild Child Melbourne Zoo (Fri 15 Apr – Fri 24 Jun) – Kids can dress up as a field researcher, climb aboard the research jeep, visit the field tent to collect their equipment and imagine finding endangered wildlife in the new addition to the popular Keeper Kids.
- In the Picture: The Art of Illustration Malvern (Fri 15 Apr – Sun 1 May) – exhibition of artworks from Children’s Literature Australia Network comprises original and limited edition works by some of Australia’s most loved children’s picture book illustrators
- Jurassic World Melbourne Museum (Fri 15 Apr – Sun 9 Oct) – exhibition is based on Universal Pictures’ Jurassic World. READ THE REVIEW.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Cruden Farm Open Day (Sun 17 Apr) – fundraising event. Enjoy entertainment and refreshments, hear from garden experts and learn more about healthy living from the Baker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute.
- Build a bush bark shelter at Australian Gardens Cranbourne (Fri 15 Apr – Sun 17 Apr) – build your own bush bark shelter using natural bushland plant material.
- Family Day Camberwell Fresh Food Market (Sat 16 Apr) – food tastings, music and entertainment.
- Man with a Pram Eastland (Sat 16 Apr) – set a world record of Dads and prams walking a mile. First 100 mums/dads receive gift bag.
- Nature Play at Blackburn Lake Sanctuary (Sun 17 Apr) – creative play opportunities with natural materials while adults learn about inspiring outdoor play ideas in a beautiful bushland setting.
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 17 Apr) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. READ THE REVIEW.
- Meet our Little Burrowers Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 15 Apr – Fri 24 Jun) – head underground with some of Australia’s iconic burrowing species including echidnas, wombats and platypus.
- Kids Fun Run Moorooduc (Sun 17 Apr) – Kids aged 3 – 12 will run alongside the historic steam train K163 to raise money to help raise funds for the kids at Frankston Hospital.
- Kids Mornings Westfield Knox (Tue 19 Apr) – free kids events and workshops every Tuesday 10am – 1pm.
- 5 Rhythms Dance Footscray (Fri 15 Apr) – drop-in music and dance class for under 5s.
- Learning to Roar Werribee Open Range Zoo (Fri 15 Apr – Fri 24 Jun) – See our growing cubs at play, meet their Keepers and learn how to prowl, pounce and roar like a Lion.
- Hula Hooping for Kids Kensington (Sat 16 Apr) – Learn the techniques of some basic hoop foundation moves.
- Capturing the Cosmos Scienceworks (Sat 16 Apr) – special member screening of newest planetarium show. READ THE REVIEW.
- Enterprise Sails (Sat 16 Apr – Sun 17 Apr) – one hour sails on Melbourne’s tall ship.
- Altona Beach Patrol (Sun 17 Apr) – help clean Altona beach and post clean up BBQ.
- Wood Street Block Party Laverton (Sun 17 Apr) – market stalls, free creative workshops, live music, food.
- Open Williamstown (Sun 17 Apr) – Celebrating the unique architecture and history of Williamstown.
- Southey Street Play Street Kensington (Sun 17 Apr) – Southey Street will be closed to traffic so that kids from the neighbourhood can come out and play.
- Kensington Market (Sun 17 Apr) – monthly showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Altona Miniature Railway public day (Sun 17 Apr) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Colour Club at Highpoint (Mon 18 Apr) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday
- Kinda Kinder Altona (Tue 19 Apr) – learn and explore at free play based sessions, led by Victoria University students doing the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood/Primary).
- Lion Cub Party Werribee Zoo (Wed 20 Apr) – member party with face painting, climbing activities, a lion-themed craft station, drumming workshops, and even a photo booth to capture your own memorable moments.