Updated January 2017
Until Thursday 10 March, the usually daytime market swings open for selected evening trade on Thursday nights from 5:30-9:30pm. The streets become lively with most street-facing stallholders and restaurants open for business as well as the market food court (where Proper & Sons is located), the market’s designer pop up SO:ME space, specialist fashion, craft and design stalls and food trucks and food carts.
There’s also a lineup of local live bands every week on the main stage on Cecil Street plus a second stage on Coventry Street showcasing performances by solo artists.
Stalls that caught my eye included:
…Beautiful blooms by Azalea Flowers…
…AMAZING Whoopie cookies from the market’s La Lapa cafe…
…Get your nails done at Miss Nail Bar…
…The Brulee Cart torching creme brulees on the spot, to order.
South Melbourne Night Market brings the beloved market to life over the summer and it’s a great place to meet friends, hang out with family, shop, eat, drink and be merry. The event is family-friendly and early in the night I saw lots of families enjoying the ambience and kids having a little boogie on the pavement as the sun set.
- free parking at the market rooftop from 5:30pm, otherwise free street parking in surrounding areas;
- The Market’s Centre Aisle and many of the permanent stalls will also be open;
- PT access via 96 tram or 112 tram; and
- entry to the South Melbourne Night Market is free;
- tables around food trucks are standing only so if you need to sit down to eat then best head to one of the restaurants on Cecil Street. Make a booking as they are popular!
South Melbourne Night Market, Cecil and Coventry Streets, South Melbourne
Every Thursday from 5 January to 23 February 2017