Is this view of a tropical resort? No, it’s Eastern Beach Geelong, on our own back doorstep only an hour from Melbourne.
Eastern Beach Reserve is right in Geelong’s CBD and it’s an amazing, free place to cool down, have fun, relax and party, right by the shimmering waters of Corio Bay.
You can enter via the carpark but the more dramatic course is to step down the grand staircase (bringing to mind Rome’s Spanish Steps), framed dramatically by palm trees and with a curious centerpiece fountain of fantastical creatures.
The picturesque area includes an Art Deco boardwalk enclosing a shark proof sea bath with floating islands and diving towers…
a fenced children’s pool which ranges from 60cm to 1.2m deep
…some of Geelong’s renowned Bay walk Bollards…
…plus barbecue and picnic facilities, toilets, water fountains and a kiosk/cafe. Everything you need for a fun day out! We spent about 2 hours there and the trip cost us $2.90 per hour for parking and $4 for an ice creams. Lady AB declared it ‘a very fun pool adventure’.
Eastern Beach is a must-go place to visit with kids when you’re in Geelong, especially in summer. Locals have it lucky and for out-of-towners it’s so good I recommend a special trip!
- Parking is $2.90 per hour, Max $5.20. Free parking Saturday, Sunday, public holidays;
- pack your hat and sunscreen. All of the bench seating next to the children’s pool is unshaded as the shade sales overlook the pool perimeter;
- children’s pool is 60cm – 1.2m deep with a central gushing water fountain;
- sea baths are suitable for older children;
- the playground is semi-shaded using shade sails;
- some picnic tables are under red roofing, otherwise the green space is mostly unshaded;
- lifeguards patrol the children’s pool;
- there’s a kiosk and cafe on site; and
- If you’re taking the train as a family you can ask for a family saver ticket at any V/Line ticket counter – this offers a discounted rate during off-peak times that you won’t get if you use your Myki. Train station is within walking distance to the beach/CBD.