Seville Water Park is an awesome free water play area in the Yarra Valley that has been created from the former Seville Memorial Swimming Pool.
The water park is set amongst parklands, with picnic tables, an extensive adventure playground, oval and netball courts. It sits just behind the strip of shops at Seville so you can buy your picnic lunch.
Seville Water Park still retains elements from the pool, cleverly turning the pool edge into bench seating and with the colour scheme echoing a swimming pool.
The design is thoughtful, replicating a river system from the mountain to the sea, via the gorge, delta and dry creek bed. One half of the water park uses treated water and the other half, with the more natural elements, uses untreated water.
The highlight are water jets within the ‘gorge’ area, which are activated by putting a hand or bare foot on two black sensors on the side of the play area.
The jets rise randomly – high, low and in arcs – and provoke much squealing and excitement.
The ground is rubber to help prevent slippage.
The other main part of the water park is the rockery, with large boulders which are fun for climbing and some old stormwater drains for playing hide and seek. There is an Archimedes screw which oddly doesn’t draw water but the kids enjoyed spinning the handle anyway.
There are a couple of picnic tables, none with shelter, so most families sat in the shade on a picnic blanket. Public toilets with change facilities are available.
Seville Water Park is worth visiting if you’re in the area on a hot day. Just make sure you bring a towel and a full change of clothes!
- bring your bathers, a towel and change of clothes;
- the playground is unfenced and next to a main road and a creek bed, though both are sufficiently far away to be reasonably safe if you’re viligant;
- one part of the park uses treated water, another part uses untreated water;
- public toilets with change facilities on site;
- unshaded except for natural shade in the park;
- picnic tables;
- free parking on the main road;
- shopping strip very close, including supermarket, bakery and ice cream shop;
- suitable for toddlers; and
- suitable for older kids.