Less than a month till Christmas! Lots of Christmas events and markets this week – we’ll be at the City of Melbourne’s Christmas Square, checking out the Lego Christmas Tree at Federation Square and admiring the Myer Christmas Windows. (Photo from our previous visit to Gingerbread Village Melbourne Town Hall)
CBD / Docklands
- Stir Frydays at Queen Victoria Market (Fri 27 Nov) – Last weekend. Therry Street will be closed to traffic to create an Asian street party filled with food carts, trucks and bars serving up the best of the Orient. READ THE REVIEW.
- Night Noodle Markets (Fri 27 Nov – Sun 29 Nov ) – Last weekend. Lighting up the banks of the Yarra at Birrarung Marr with a record 56 stalls. READ THE REVIEW.
- Santa’s Circus Spectacular at Wonderland Fun Park (Fri 27 Nov – Thu 24 Dec) – See the crazy acrobatic elves get themselves into all sorts of mischief in Santa’s Toy Workshop. he North Pole with snow falls daily and the one and only talking tree complete with Santa’s Mailbox to post those special letters.
- Melbourne Town Hall Projections and Christmas Square (Fri 27 Nov – Fri 25 Dec) – City Square will be transformed into Christmas Square, a magical forest offering festive fun for families and children. By day, discover nutcracker soldiers, interactive candy canes, free photos with Santa and visit Intel’s interactive RealSense area and explore an exciting glimpse of the future. By night, enjoy the Christmas sound and light show wonderlands.
- Lego Christmas Tree Federation Square (Fri 27 Nov – Sun 27 Dec) – Marvel as Fed Square’s spectacular LEGO Christmas tree comes to life with a magical lightshow set to your favourite Christmas carols.
- Christmas Spectacular at Crown (Fri 27 Nov – Thu 3 Jan) – lighting and musical display every 30 minutes between 10am and midnight daily, visit Santa and take a free photo.
- Lost at Artplay (Fri 27 Nov – Sun 17 Jan) – The ArtPlay Performance and Art Clubbers have joined forces to produce this intriguing installation. Can you find the lost things?
- Federation Square Book Market (Sat 28 Nov) – Meet Illustrator Anna Walker and author Jane Godwin 12noon to 3pm.
- Southbank Boulevard Pop Up Garden Party (Sun 29 Nov) – art, music, performance and family activities outside ABC building. antiques, retro vintage, books, jewellery, photography, and reclaimed wood furniture, handmade crafted and fashioned goods locally made beauty products, kid’s clothes toys and doggy items.
- MarkIt Fed Square (Sun 29 Nov) – over 100 Australian independent designers selling limited-edition jewellery, ceramics, fashion, art prints, homewares and more.
- Merry-Go-Market Queen Victoria Market (Sun 29 Nov) – This family event focuses on fun activities for mini Marketeers. The Market will come to life with a Petting Zoo, Paint Pot People, live kids entertainment, face painting, balloon artists and much more.
- Shop the City Festival (Tue 1 Dec) – Melbourne Central, Emporium Melbourne, QV Melbourne, The Strand Melbourne, Melbourne’s GPO and other major city retailers will be open for a 12 hour shopping festival
- Gingerbread Village Melbourne Town Hall (Tue 1 Dec – Wed 24 Dec) – display of Melbourne’s iconic landmarks – all made out of gingerbread and fondant icing. READ THE REVIEW.
- Queen Victoria Night Market (Wed 2 Dec) – Eat and drink your way around the world one dish at a time with more than 50 street food traders cooking up a global feast plus specialty shopping and entertainment.
- Play Pod new season State Library of Victoria (Fri 27 Nov – Mon 30 Nov) – Last weekend. Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season and for Spring 2015 go a journey around Australia in a Play Pod inspired by Alison Lester’s classic children’s book Are we there yet?. READ THE REVIEW.
- Our Land is Alive: Hermannsburg Potters for Kids at NGV Australia (Fri 27 Nov– Apr 16) – The exhibition presents a major NGV commission of twenty AFL-themed Hermannsburg pots which depict iconic moments for Aboriginal players in the AFL. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- The Naughtiest Reindoor Storytime Little Bookroom Carlton (Fri 27 Nov) – reading and activities with author Nick Greenberg.
- German Christmas Market North Fitzroy (Fri 27 Nov) – stalls, home-made cakes and Christmas confectionery, pretzels, mulled wine, German beer, children’s activities, Christmas craft and jumping castle!
- Fawkner Festa (Fri 27 Nov – Sat 28 Nov) – music, dance, food, circus, community market and activities for young and old.
- Sweetfest North Melbourne (Sat 28 Nov – Sun 29 Nov) – event will feature delights from many of Melbourne’s favourites including Luxbite, Bibelot and Gelato Messina.
- Coburg Night Market (Fri 27 Nov – Fri 18 Dec) – food trucks, artisan crafts, live music and dance sessions every Friday.
- Etsy Local Market Collingwood (Sat 28 Nov) – Etsy is launching their official #Etsymadelocal. Rupert on Rupert and All Press Studios in Collingwood will be playing host.
- Rose Hotel Street Party (Sun 29 Nov) – live music, raffles, auctions and plentiful brews in the sun raising money for Fitzroy Primary School.
- Kirikou and the Sorceress Speakeasy Kids Cinema (Sun 29 Nov) – Kirikou exquisitely recounts the tale of tiny Kirikou born in an African village in which Karaba the Sorceress has placed a terrible curse. With bold visuals and soundtrack by African music giant Youssou N’Dour this unique animation is as un-Disney as they come!
- Rock-a-Bye Baby Fitzroy (Thu 3 Dec) – Afro-funk legends The Seven Ups will definitely bring the party! You just need to bring yourselves and your dancing shoes.
- Leap Frog at Melbourne Zoo (Fri 20 Nov – Fri 18 Dec) – new look World of Frogs exhibit, daily amphibian keeper talks, take part in Find the Corroboree Frog Hunt and spot the giant frog sculpture within the Zoo grounds.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Christmas in Port Melbourne (Fri 27 Nov) – event launches Port Melbourne’s decorative Christmas windows, which are themed to the Twelve Days of Christmas.
- Frankstons Christmas Festival Of Lights (Sat 28 Nov) – Bring together your family and friends and create your magical family memory at Frankston’s Christmas Festival of Lights.
- St Kilda Mums Open Gardens Fundraiser Brighton (Sat 28 Nov) – Brighton resident Maxine Lynch will open her spectacular garden to the public for one last time before she sells her home. Open garden with Devonshire tea and a sausage sizzle, entry $7 proceeds to St Kilda Mums.
- Santa’s Christmas Spectacular Sandown Racecourse (Sat 28 Nov – Sun 29 Nov) – unlimited rides, face painting, stage and roving entertainment, firework
- Sensitive Santa photos Westfield Fountaingate (Fri 27 Nov – Sat 12 Dec) – Photos are taken before the Centre opens with minimal noise, no waiting, no music, no spotlights and understanding from Santa and Oscars100 staff.
- Miss Maker Pop Up Market (Fri 27 Nov – Sat 26 Dec) – showcasing Victorias finest Handmade, Local, Sustainable, Ethical products for you and your family.
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom at Caulfield Racecourse (Fri 27 Nov – Wed 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide. READ THE REVIEW.
- Kids Mornings Southland (Wed 2 Dec) – Dance and sing your way through the last term of the year with a fun new Kids Morning program!
- Lollipops Mama’s Market (Wed 2 Dec) – Lollipops Playland are supporting Home Based Business Mums with Market Mumma’s Mini Market Day. Every Wednesday during the school term.
- Santa’s Grotto Eastland (Fri 27 Nov – Thu 24 Dec) – meet Santas and have photos. SEE OUR INSTAGRAM.
- Belgrave End of the Line Festival (Sat 28 Nov) – Music stages, art exhibitions, street performances, sculpture installations, an artisan market, workshops, demonstrations, live painting and theatre and dance
- Spring Babies at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 27 Nov – Fri 18 Dec) – say hello to our waddling baby wombats and Rascal the kangaroo joey, Visit the Baby Burrow inside the Australian Wildlife Health Centre, special baby talks.
- Christmas windows at Post Industrial Design (Fri 27 Nov – Jan 2016) – Jos Van Hulsen’s annual Christmas window celebrating Melbourne’s west. Open Studios Artist Talk Sun 29 Nov. READ THE REVIEW.
- Essendon Summer Market (Sat 28 Nov) – market for Designers and Creators.
- Wyndham Food Truck Festival (Sat 28 Nov – Sun 29 Nov) – 15+ Food trucks each day of the festivals along with lots of Live Performances, DJs, Children Rides, Dancers and lots of entertainment
- Empower Me Footscray (Sun 29 Nov) – family fun day to bring the community together to raise awareness and funds about facilities and services available to women and children subjected to family violence and to mark a stand against family violence.
- Rotary Club of Williamstown Family Christmas Fair (Sun 29 Nov) – Free rides, face painting, clowns, giant slide, animal petting nursery and more.
- The Colour Club Highpoint (Mon 30 Nov) – free weekly events for children and their carers.
- Passport to Africa at Werribee Zoo (Fri 27 Nov – Fri 18 Dec) – receive a map and our official Zoo Passport to choose their own adventure through the Zoo. Mark off animals as you visit them and collect official passport stamps at each checkpoint. Kids will also have a blast on the Zoo’s new Bush Babies Safari Trail.