By the way have you checked out Melbourne’s newest playground Ron Barassi Snr Park in Docklands which is this week’s feature photo. And note it’s the last weekend to enjoy Open House: Tromarama for Kids at NGV International and Dandenong Festival of Light.
CBD / Docklands
- Stir Frydays at Queen Victoria Market (Fri 16 Oct) – Every Friday until 27 November, Therry Street will be closed to traffic to create an Asian street party filled with food carts, trucks and bars serving up the best of the Orient.
- Pregnancy Babies & Children’s Expo Melbourne Exhibition Centre (Fri 16 Oct – Sun 18 Oct) – get the latest parenting advice and products.
- The Singing Bones No Vacancy QV (Fri 16 Oct – Sun 18 Oct) – Enter a world of wicked stepsisters, traitorous brothers, cunning foxes and lonely princesses, created by acclaimed narrative artist and and Oscar winner, Shaun Tan.
- The Upmarket (Sat 17 Oct) – Discover emerging and established designers and food creators, plus workshops for kids and adults.
- Scarecrow Making at Pop Up Patch (Sun 18 Oct) – Make your very own scarecrow with Little Veggie Patch Co.
- Under 5s at O’Brien Group Arena (Sun 18 Oct) – A unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Imaginary Architecture Artplay (Fri 16 Oct – Sun 1 Nov) – play with torches and peek into imaginary worlds inside cardboard boxes. READ THE REVIEW.
- ArtPlay Inside Out (Wed 21 Oct, Thu 22 Oct) – inspiring materials on hand for you to create an artwork or build a play space with your little one. READ THE REVIEW.
- Open House: Tromarama for Kids at NGV International (Fri 16 Oct – Sun 18 Oct) – wondrous and immersive house of fun in children’s gallery. READ THE REVIEW.
- Play Pod new season State Library of Victoria (Fri 16 Oct – 1 Dec) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season and for Spring 2015 go a journey around Australia in a Play Pod inspired by Alison Lester’s classic children’s book Are we there yet?. READ THE REVIEW.
- Our Land is Alive: Hermannsburg Potters for Kids at NGV Australia (Fri 16 Oct – Apr 16) – The exhibition presents a major NGV commission of twenty AFL-themed Hermannsburg pots which depict iconic moments for Aboriginal players in the AFL. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- One Fine Baby Royal Exhibition Building (Sat 17 Oct – Sun 18 Oct) – delicious food and entertainment, shop beautiful products from local makers AND Meet Peppa Pig!
- VYSO Presents Children’s Games (Sat 17 Oct) – Saint-Saëns’ Carnival of the Animals will be complemented by selections from The Lord of the Rings and John Williams’ soundtrack to Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Young children will also love Noisy Nora, a musical adaptation of Rosemary Wells’ classic picture book.
- Spring Fling Street Festival (Sun 18 Oct) – celebrate North and West Melbourne as a connected, creative community with music, stalls, food.
- Leap Frog at Melbourne Zoo (Fri 16 Oct – Fri 18 Dec) – new look World of Frogs exhibit, daily amphibian keeper talks, take part in Find the Corroboree Frog Hunt and spot the giant frog sculpture within the Zoo grounds.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Dandenong Festival of Light (Fri 16 Oct – Sun 18 Oct) – Chinese tea ceremonies, acrobatics and heaps of spectacular light shows. READ THE REVIEW.
- Kids Mornings Southland (Wed 21 Oct) – Dance and sing your way through the last term of the year with a fun new Kids Morning program!
- Box Hill Miniature Railway (Sun 18 Oct) – Every 3rd Sunday the ride this wonderful Miniature Railway, the track winds through the picturesque surrounds of Elgar Park. READ THE REVIEW.
- A Celebration of Australian Picture Books (Tue 20 Oct) – meet and hear from guest authors Graeme Base, Beci Orpin and Anna Pignataro with Q&A panel. Entry by gold coin donation.
- Spring Babies at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 9 Oct – Fri 18 Dec) – say hello to our waddling baby wombats and Rascal the kangaroo joey, Visit the Baby Burrow inside the Australian Wildlife Health Centre, special baby talks.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 17 Oct, Thu 22 Oct) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games.
- The World of Wool Seddon (Sat 17 Oct) – The Installation Series is a monthly child-led community arts project designed for families with children aged 0-4.
- Saltwater Coast Crocodile Park Opening (Sun 18 Oct) – reptiles, inflatable pirate ship, boat race.
- Tweddle’s 95th Birthday Party (Sun 18 Oct) – Jumping Castle, Animal Farm and Face Painting. Parenting Experts Available For Free Early Parenting Advice and Resources.
- Kensington Market (Sun 18 Oct) – monthly market showcase of talented local artisans and crafters.
- Altona Miniature Railway public day (Sun 18 Oct) – Every third Sunday of the month the Altona Miniature Railway is opened to members of the public and members take kids and adults on rides on the mini steam and diesel engines. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Colour Club Highpoint (Mon 19 Oct) – free weekly events for children and their carers.
- 5 Rhythms Dance at FCAC (Mon 19 Oct) – Together, big and little feet will dance expressively through the rhythms of Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness. Best suited for toddlers and walkers (up to 5 years).
- Music for Toddlers at FCAC (Tue 20 Oct, Wed 21 Oct) – Immerse yourself in super cool music and take a rollicking ride through music, dance and percussion.
- Toddl’Art at FCAC (Wed 21 Oct) – new toddler art classes for drop-in.
- Book Swap Bike Highpoint (Thu 22 Oct – Sat 24 Oct) – bring a preloved book to the mobile bike library to swap for a new one to take home. Also drop in for a zine-making craft activity with Footscray Community Arts Centre.
- Passport to Africa at Werribee Zoo (Fri 16 Oct – Fri 18 Dec) – receive a map and our official Zoo Passport to choose their own adventure through the Zoo. Mark off animals as you visit them and collect official passport stamps at each checkpoint. Kids will also have a blast on the Zoo’s new Bush Babies Safari Trail.