Children’s Week is a national program recognising the talents, skills, achievements and rights of young people. This year events are running from Saturday 24 October to Sunday 1 November with the theme of celebrating the children’s rights as human rights.
In Victoria all Children’s Week events are offered free-of-charge to Victorian families with children aged 0-12 years. Share your adventures using the hashtag #childrensweek and #childrensweekvic
- Kids’ Day Out C.B. Smith Reserve Fawkner (Sat 24 Oct) – entertainers, circus workshops, outdoor games and healthy food.
- Children’s Week at Moreland Libraries (Sat 24 Oct – Sun 1 Nov) – Moreland libraries host special events for children and families every day in Children’s Week.
- “Dreamer in Space” Puppet Show (Tue 27 Oct) – free puppet show “Dreamer in Space” presented and performed by Dream Puppets. There will also be staff from Children, Families and Community available on the day to talk about the range of services and programs available to families in Darebin.
- Children’s Week in Banyule (Tue 27 Oct) celebrate the launch of the Banyule picture story book on children’s rights, a collection of children’s views on why it is great to live in Banyule and how things can be improved.
- Romp & Stomp Fun Day for Children at Melbourne Museum (Wed 28 Oct) – heaps of great activities including live music, storytelling, art and craft, and dress-ups.
- Bayside Community Celebration at St Leonard’s Church Brighton (Sun 25 Oct) – kite making, an animal farm, mini yacht race and lots more.
- The Kujo Kings Murrumbeena Reserve (Sun 25 Oct) – This unique family themed event will have you singing and dancing with a range of catchy anthems.
- True Culture Allnut Park, McKinnon (Mon 26 Oct) – Join True Culture in an interactive cultural event as they perform a combination of traditional and contemporary indigenous music and dance.
- Caring for your community Elsternwick (Fri 30 Oct) – Learn more about living sustainably in Glen Eira with a recycling display, interactive worm show and planting demonstrations.
- Halloween spooky stories Glen Eira Libraries (Sat 31 Oct) – It’s time for spooks, elves and goblins! Come dressed for trick or treat and hear spooky stories, creepy songs and rhymes
- Children’s Week Fun Day in Maroondah (Mon 26 – Wed 28 Oct) – special performance by The Music Man, Paul Jamieson and a free sausage sizzle. Children will enjoy the many interactive activities including:
- storytelling, craft, sensory play, bubble playground, Teddy Bear Hospital, painting, ball games and much more.
- Pram Walks Booroondara (Tue 27 Oct – Thu 29 Oct) – Short pram walks followed by some fun physical activities – yoga, group training, tai-chi and BYO picnic.
- Family Fun Parkview Room Camberwell (Sat 31 Oct) – enjoy show bags, sausage sizzle and performances by Camberwell Primary School, Boroondara Orchestra and Flare Dance Company.
- Family Fun Day Camberwell Civic Centre (Sat 31 Oct) – storytelling sessions by Council’s librarians, performances by local groups, face-painters, family show bags and lots more.
- Book Swap Bike at Highpoint (Thu 22 Oct – Sat 24 Oct) – bring a pre-loved book to the Book Swap Bike, a Danish Christiania cargo bike transformed into a miniature mobile library filled with secondhand children’s books. Children can then swap their book for another book to take home. Visual artists from Footscray Community Arts Centre are also facilitating a free drop-in zine-making craft activity.
- Fun in the Park Queens Park (Sun 25 Oct) – Funky Monkeys’ interactive circus show featuring live music, magic, storytelling, circus and hip hop workshops and more!
- Kids at Overnewton Castle (Sun 25 Oct) – dress as your favourite character and come enjoy the amusement rides, story telling, mini zoo, face painting, pony rides, mini circus and much more on offer on this special day out.
- Children’s Week Picnic at Werribee Park (Sun 26 Oct) – Trackless Train, Entertaining stage shows, Inflatable Jungle Maze, Toy Swap, Build a City, Children’s Cooking Classes, Face Painting, TrySportz Zone, Bike N Blend, Roving Performers, Crafts, Games.
- Little Kids Day In Scienceworks (Mon 26 Oct) – event provides little guests with the opportunity to learn and develop new skills through play, hands-on activities and shows.
- Colour Club at Highpoint (Mon 26 Oct) – Toddl’Art program with Footscray Community Arts Centre.
- Children’s Week Brimbank Libraries (Mon 26 Oct – Wed 28 Oct) – Storytime in Auslan & English and Preschool Storytime with basic Auslan.
- Circus Play Maidstone Child and Family Centre (Tue 27 Oct) – toddler circus, animal farm, African drumming.
- Green Play McNish Reserve Yarraville (Wed 28 Oct) – play activities with garden worms, decorate your bike/scooter/pram, native plants show and tell, rainbow painting activity, nature walks.
- Hobson’s Bay Children’s Week Picnic (Wed 28 Oct) – Enjoy the sun, sea and free activities; jumping castles, face painting, music, live entertainment, pop up playgroup, Play Days bus, story time, dance workshop, animal farm, craft activities and much more.
- We ♥ Grandparents! Crown Street Stables Flemington (Wed 28 Oct) – Bring your grandparents along for morning tea and fun activities with story time, face painting, playdough, bubbles and more! For children aged five and under.
- Open House Braybrook Community Hub (Thu 29 Oct) – Olympic games play activities, animal farm, story time, Book Swap Bike.
- B-active@Pollard Sunshine (Thu 29 Oct) – walking tour of Sunshine that highlights the local history of the suburb. Walking tour starts at 10.30am and concludes with a BBQ lunch at RT Pollard Gardens.
- Movie Night Crown Street Stables Flemington (Fri 30 Oct) – Embark on a hilarious pre-historic adventure with the computer-animated classic The Croods (PG).
- Musical Sprouts Footscray (Fri 30 Oct) – musical concert for under 5s and their carers.