First weekend of Spring and Father’s Day this Sunday too – so much to do this week with your family in Melbourne. (Photo from our visit to Harmony Gardens Yarra’s Edge)
CBD / Docklands
- The Upmarket launch at ACCA forecourt (Sat 5 Sep) – a new regular design market with some of the best emerging and established designers and producers plus local and organic food providores, coveted food creators and a series of creative workshops for kids and adults.
- City Library booksale (Sat 5 Sep) – second-hand books, fiction and non-fiction all for $1 each.
- Play Pod new season State Library of Victoria (Sat 5 Sep – 1 Dec) – Play Pod is the SLV’s program for children aged under 8 years with activities to read, create and play. There’s a new theme every season and for Spring 2015 go a journey around Australia in a Play Pod inspired by Alison Lester’s classic children’s book Are we there yet?. READ THE REVIEW.
- Father’s Day Breakfast at Melbourne Aquarium (Sun 6 Sep) – Kick-start Father’s Day with a dad-sized sit-down breakfast including delicious seasonal gourmet delights and Belgian waffles for the kids. Art and craft activities for the little ones. READ THE REVIEW.
- Father’s Day on the Melbourne Star (Sun 6 Sep) – Buy one full priced single admission adult or child ticket, or purchase a family ticket combination and Dad receives his flight for $1.
- Father’s Day at Campari House (Sun 6 Sep) – Full a la carte menu available for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Laneway Dining Room. Complimentary schooner of Heineken for Dad. Kids menu and colouring packs.
- Father’s Day Funnies (Sun 6 Sep) – 5 Melbourne comedians are joining forces for a side-splitting Father’s Day celebration of Dads and Dad jokes.
- Father’s Day O’Brien Group Arena (Sun 6 Sep) – Dads skate free.
- Ukranian Festival Federation Square (Sun 6 Sep) – enjoy Cossack dancing, choral singing and folk music, as well as tasting authentic Ukrainian fare from a range of food stalls.
- Singapura! Federation Square (Sun 6 Sep) – Singaporean food festival and community day, with a hawker-style food market and cultural performances.
- Too Busy Sleeping launch Hill of Content (Sun 6 Sep) – craft and an author reading of picture book Too Busy Sleeping.
- Pirate Day at Polly Woodside (Sun 6 Sep) – Dress as a pirate and help search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted!
- Children’s Garden at Royal Botanical Gardens reopening (Sun 6 Sep) – Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden reopening after annual winter maintenance. READ THE REVIEW.
- Bunyips and Dragons NGV Australia (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 4 Oct) – large-scale works from more than 60 of Australia’s best-loved book illustrators. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Find Me a Castle Collingwood (Fri 4 Sep – Sat 5 Sep) – Interactive exhibition coinciding with launch of Beci Orpin’s latest publication, ‘Find me a Castle’ a children’s look-and-find picture book. READ THE REVIEW.
- Too Busy Sleeping launch Little Bookroom (Sat 5 Sep) – cupcakes, craft and a reading of picture book Too Busy Sleeping.
- Family Day at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sun 6 Sep) – enjoy Pony Rides , Tractor rides , Guinea Pig cuddles and an affordable BBQ with dad on Father’s Day. READ THE REVIEW.
- Father’s Day Breakfast Melbourne Zoo (Sun 6 Sep) – Start the morning with a continental buffet in the Rainforest Room, then enjoy all day admission to explore and see your favourite animals.
- Work-Shop Makers Market Fitzroy (Sun 6 Sep) – Celebrate Work-Shop’s 1st birthday with market stalls, workshops, live art.
- Flour Market Spring Bake Collingwood (Sun 6 Sep) – bake sale from Melbourne’s best bakeries.
- Evening Member Book Launch Melbourne Zoo (Mon 7 Sep) – The Lord Howe Island Stick Insect is one of the amazing invertebrates at Melbourne Zoo and has a fascinating story of survival. Keeper Rohan Cleave has turned this story into a captivating children’s book. Original artwork will be on display and members receive a discount on purchases.
- Wild About Art at Melbourne Zoo (Fri 28 Aug – Fri 18 Sep) – Art and wildlife come together this winter.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Dads’ Super Saturday at Hampton St (Sat 5 Sep) – bumper to bumper with classic and exotic cars in a festival of all things fast. Face painting, balloons, food, music and entertainment.
- Market Week at South Melbourne Market (Sat 5 Sep) – Kids Potato Printing, Great Melbourne Smoothie Challenge, face painting, sausage roll tastings.
- Kids Foraging Activity Prahran Market (Sun 6 Sep) –Kids pick up their own empty fruit salad box and then follow a treasure map to all the different fruit and veg traders, picking up a new and exciting fresh fruit offering to put in their box to make their own fruit salad. Finish with a scoop of ice-cream from Fritz Gelato.
- Father’s Day at Luna Park (Sun 6 Sep) – Free sausage sizzle and free rides for dad when accompanied by one full paying child.
- The Mornington Railway Father’s Day Special (Sun 6 Sep) – Dad will enjoy lots of special treats throughout the day. Each dad will receive a free sausage from the BBQ.
- Young at Art at Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Tue 8 Sep) – program for 0-5 year olds. Sing, dance, clap and stomp your feet with Matteo! Do an exciting activity with the Education Coordinator afterwards. READ THE REVIEW.
- Kids Mornings Southland (Wed 9 Sep) – Pack your bags for an around the world adventure every Wednesday at Kids Mornings.
- Tesselaar Tulip Festival (Thu 10 September – Tue 6 October) – Visit the tulip farm and enjoy the tulip-themed activities. READ THE REVIEW.
- Father’s Day Rock Climb at Heide Museum of Modern Art (Sun 6 Sep) – Build a milk bottle igloo with me! Take on our rock climbing challenge under the guidance of outdoor specialist Anaconda. Build a robot with Makedo. Make a collage or play Heide Detective. Every completed trail wins a lucky dip prize! Treat dad to FREE museum admission. READ THE REVIEW.
- Father’s Day BBQ Brunch at Riversdale Park (Sun 6 Sep) – Free kids activities and fun for the whole family to celebrate fatherhood and family diversity.
- Wildlife Heroes at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 4 Sep – Fri 18 Sep) – new indoor play space is designed especially for our little heroes and will entice kids to play and dress-up as our wildlife hospital rescue team, saving their own plush patients. READ THE REVIEW.
- Family Science Night Scienceworks (Sat 5 Sep) – Dress up as your favourite dinosaur, meet and talk to museum experts and take a walk on the wild dino-side at Family Science Nights!
- Cocktails and Canvas Father’s Day Event (Sun 6 Sep) – Kids can bring their Father, Uncle or Grandpa for FREE! Dessert and a beverage are included. Each painter will take home their masterpiece at the end of the event.
- Little Kids Day in at Scienceworks (Mon 7 Sep) – A fun day especially for kids aged under 6 years, their parents and carers. Bring your little kids to Science works and enjoy a day of fun activities.
- The Little Runway Kensington (Wed 9 Sep) – The Little Runway, presented by Kids Fashion Week Ltd, will be casting the spotlight on kids’ fashion.
- Play at Incinerator Gallery (Fri 4 Sep – Sun 27 Sep) – sculpture of large colourful forms you can play with. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 29 Aug, Thu 3 Sep) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games.
- 5 Rhythms Dance at FCAC (Mon 31 Aug) – Together, big and little feet will dance expressively through the rhythms of Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness. Best suited for toddlers and walkers (up to 5 years).
- Music for Toddlers at FCAC (Tue 1 Sep, Wed 3 Sep) – Immerse yourself in super cool music and take a rollicking ride through music, dance and percussion.