This week I’m busy organising a workshop for Australia’s first every Play Streets in Kensington! Plus lots of other events to celebrate August’s wintery fun including National Bookshop Day Saturday 8 August. (Photo from our visit to Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie).
- Docklands Winter Fireworks (Fri 7 Aug) – Fireworks every Friday night at 7:30pm during July and August with other FREE entertainment happening along the promenade from 6:30-8:30pm).
- European Night Market at Madame Brussels Lane (Fri 7 Aug) – take in the rich European aromas of mulled wine, German sausages and freshly baked pretzels as they browse the mix of new and returning food stalls.
- Melt Away Chocolate Festival (7-9 Aug) – workshops, tastings, kids activities.
- Out of the Blue Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 7 Aug – Sun 9 Aug) – A spellbinding, intimate performance for babies and toddlers aged 6 – 18 months (and their grown-ups).
- Kids Flicks at ACMI (Sat 8 Aug – Sun 9 Aug) – ACMI’s curated program of children’s films.
- Scarecrow Making at Pop Up Patch (Sun 9 Aug) – Make your very own scarecrow with Little Veggie Patch Co.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 9 Aug) – A unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Winter Night Market at Queen Victoria Market (Wed 12 Aug) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter.
- Artplay Inside Out (Thu 13 Aug) – create an artwork or build a play space with your little one every Thursday at Artplay.
- Bunyips and Dragons NGV Australia (Fri 7 Aug – Sun 4 Oct) – large-scale works from more than 60 of Australia’s best-loved book illustrators. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Farmers Market at Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 8 Aug) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free).
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 8 Aug) Fresh produce from farmers and growers who come from all regions across Victoria.
- Northern Regards at Northcote Town Hall (Sat 8 Aug) – Artisan market featuring handmade sustainable wares.
- National Bookshop Day at The Little Bookroom Carlton (Sat 8 Aug) – face painting, balloons.
- National Bookshop Day at Fairfield Books (Sat 8 Aug) – author visit, continuous storytime, sweet treats.
- National Bookshop Day at Pictures and Pages (Sat 8 Aug) – author workshops, book signings, and a book character parade.
- National Bookshop Day at Eltham Bookshop (Sat 8 Aug) – author meet and greets, dragon drawings, mince pies and prizes.
- Brunswick Flea Market (Sun 9 Aug) – New and vintage furniture, household items and clothing.
- Wild About Art at Melbourne Zoo (Sat 27 Jun – Sun 31 Aug) – Art and wildlife come together this winter.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Northland, Greensborough, Broadmeadows (Sat 8 Aug, Sun 9 Aug, Tue 11 Aug) -all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- KIDS C.R.E.A.T.E South Melbourne Market (Fri 7 Aug – Sun 9 Aug) – Drop in with the kids and get crafty.
- National Bookshop Day Readings St Kilda (Sat 8 Aug) – Tony Wilson, author extraordinaire, will be reading from his quirky new book, The Cow Tripped Over the Moon, a book all about nursery rhymes emergencies. Parade prizes and morning tea.
- National Bookshop Day Benn’s Books (Sat 8 Aug) – Meet young writer Eliza Henry-Jones and competition for horse drawings.
- Trailer Park at The Village (Sat 8 Aug – Sun 9 Aug) – This August, Melbourne’s finest food trucks will gather in the Village Garden. Each weekend will showcase food from a different continent.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Frankston (Sat 8 Aug, Sun 9 Aug, Tue 11 Aug) -all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Young at Art at Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Tue 11 Aug) – program for 0-5 year olds. Sing, dance, clap and stomp your feet with Matteo! Do an exciting activity with the Education Coordinator afterwards.
- Winter Wanderland Balwyn (Fri 7 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – arts trail by local artists with and without disability is set to brighten Whitehorse Road.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 7 Aug – Mon 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- National Bookshop Day at Collins Booksellers Croydon (Sat 8 Aug) – meet Corinne Fenton and listen to a reading of Bob The Railway Dog.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Eastland, Victoria Gardens, Forest Hill (Sat 8 Aug, Sun 9 Aug, Tue 11 Aug) -all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 9 Aug) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- Wildlife Heroes at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 7 Aug – 31 August) – new indoor play space is designed especially for our little heroes and will entice kids to play and dress-up as our wildlife hospital rescue team, saving their own plush patients. READ THE REVIEW.
- Dockyard Food Truck Fridays Williamstown (Fri 7 Aug) – winter food truck park at Seaworks. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Little Mermaid Jnr Williamstown (Fri 7 Aug – Sun 16 Aug) – In a magical kingdom fathoms below, the beautiful young mermaid Ariel longs to leave her ocean home to live in the world above.
- Art in August Wyndham (Fri 7 Aug – Sun 6 Sep) – A month long expo of art , craft and culture all under the one roof including kids disco 22 Aug.
- National Bookshop Day at The Younger Sun (Sat 8 Aug) – All day fun and treats. Dress as you favourite book character, there will be prizes. Meet Leigh Hobbs.
- National Bookshop Day at Collins Booksellers Moonee Ponds (Sat 8 Aug) – meet magician and author Nicholas Johnson, Spot, Peter Rabbit, Blinky Bill, Elmer the Elephant and Grandma Poss, storytime, giveaway, sausage sizzle.
- New Leaf cafe Frozen character breakfast (Sat 8 Aug) – Come and meet Anna and Elsa at the café.
- Art Sauce at Wood Street Arts Space (Sat 8 Aug) – free monthly family-friendly, hands on art session. Each month will involve a different creative project.
- Yarraville Markets (Sat 8 Aug) – indoor market full of delicious handmade,gorgeous products
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Highpoint, Watergardens (Sat 8 Aug, Sun 9 Aug, Tue 11 Aug) -all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Play Streets Kensington (Sun 9 Aug) – join me in a FREE construction play workshop for the first ever play streets in Australia.
- Chevron Market at Werribee (Sun 9 Aug) – 75 stalls, plaster fun, face painting, balloon artist, photo booth, animal farm.
- Kiddyrock open day sessions (Mon 10 Aug, Tue 11 Aug) – hour long class of music with percussion instruments, drums and ukeleles, dancing with scarves and pom poms, storytime, a fun craft activity and games and activities.