Happy Birthday Melbourne! This Sunday is Melbourne Day with lots of events happening around the city to celebrate the 180th birthday of our city. Plus catch the last Book Week activities and Melbourne Writers Festival. (Image of birthday cake by Candied Bakery)
- Docklands Winter Fireworks (Fri 28 Aug) – Last day of fireworks with other FREE entertainment happening along the promenade from 6:30-8:30pm.
- Hansel and Gretel Melbourne Recital Centre (Sat 29 Aug) – Introduce your children to the magic of opera through Opera Australia’s delightful production of one of the best-loved Brothers Grimm tales.
- Australian Ice Hockey League Medibank Icehouse (Sat 29 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) –Prior to the puck’s drop, spectators will have the chance to hit the ice for a game day skate. After the final, there’ll be an evening of entertainment and the chance to meet some of the stars of the game.
- Books Light Up Our World at Library at the Dock (Fri 28 Aug) – celebrate Children’s Book Week with stars of ABC TV, Buzz, Lola and Lah-Lah. They will bring sunshine to this wonderful occasion through music, stories and lots of dancing! Event booked out but you might be able to drop in.
- Melbourne Star 180 hour celebration (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – purchase single flight adult and children’s tickets for just $18pp from 10am to 3pm. READ THE REVIEW.
- Mirvac’s Daffodil Day Sea of Blooms (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – sea of daffodil blooms will be open at the Array waterfront, Yarra’s Edge for the public to visit and make a donation via online platforms for Daffodil Day.
- Daffodil Day Garden of Hope Southbank (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – Southbank provides a place for reflection and hope amongst a field of daffodils. Meet Peppa Pig, play interactive handball with AFL players, enjoy some face painting, try the photo booth and more!
- Emporium Melbourne Shop the City Weekend (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – giant ball pit and other workshops and activities for Melbourne Spring Fashion Week.
- Enterprize sail Docklands (Sat 29 Aug) – One hour sail of the tall ship Enterprize.
- The Story Peddlers (Sat 29 Aug, Sun 30 Aug) – Join some of Melbourne’s best loved children’s authors as they read from new work, old work or anything in between.
- Walls of Poetica & storytelling workshop (Sat 29 Aug, Sun 30 Aug) – comedy, poetry, live music and help from the audience to finish the story.
- The Bad Bad Witch and The Feelings Monster & storytelling workshop (Sun 30 Aug) – Sausage Dog Productions have collaborated with Billie B Brown author, Sally Rippin, to present a sneak peek into the lives of her two newest characters.
- Melbourne Day events Docklands (Sun 30 Aug) – Melbourne regatta, market stalls, family concerts, free ferry trips and more.
- Polly Woodside for Melbourne Day (Sun 30 Aug) – 25 per cent discount on all general admission tickets on 30 August, from 10am to 4pm (last entry at 3.15pm).
- Melbourne Central and Walk to Art Tours Melbourne Central (Sun 30 Aug) – free tours of Melbourne Central’s hidden nooks, rarely-seen vantage points and secret rooftops and the murals, sculptures, installations and street art pieces in Melbourne Central.
- Bunyips and Dragons NGV Australia (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 4 Oct) – large-scale works from more than 60 of Australia’s best-loved book illustrators. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Find Me a Castle Collingwood (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 5 Sep) – Interactive exhibition coinciding with launch of Beci Orpin’s latest publication, ‘Find me a Castle’ a children’s look-and-find picture book. READ THE REVIEW.
- Northcote Pottery Supplies Open Day (Sat 29 Aug) – demonstrations, open artist studios, hands-on activities, store wide discounts, and more.
- Make a Father’s Day Card Little Bookroom (Sat 29 Aug) – fantastic card making craftivity. The ticket price include a hardback copy of DADDY, YOU’RE AWESOME, illustrated by Renee Treml.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Greensborough, Broadmeadows, Northlands (Sat 29 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- The Hurstbridge Wattle Festival (Sun 30 Aug) – A rural street festival held on the last Saturday in August in Hurstbridge.
- Lantern Making Workshop (Thu 3 Sep) – make a beautiful lantern to take home in preparation for the Mid-Autumn Festival.
- Wild About Art at Melbourne Zoo (Fri 28 Aug – Fri 18 Sep) – Art and wildlife come together this winter.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- St Kilda Steiner Kindergarten Winter Bazaar (Sat 29 Aug) – african drumming, craft stalls, BBQ, children’s activities, home-made food, entertainment and more.
- Winter’s Last Hurrah (Sat 29 Aug) – Celebrate the end of winter on a spooky full moon at Mulberry Hill. This event kicks off our garden fundraiser, eat, drink & be merry with spicy mulled wines & ciders to warm your tummy and feasts for the eyes and ears!
- Trailer Park at The Village (Sat 29 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – Last weekend of Melbourne’s finest food trucks gathering in the Village Garden. Each weekend will showcase food from a different continent.
- Circus fun at Dandenong Market (Sun 30 Aug) – Pantomime Storytelling, circus show, magic show and circus play space.
- Kids Mornings Southland (Wed 26 Aug) – Pack your bags for an around the world adventure every Wednesday at Kids Mornings.
- Musical Sprouts Camberwell (Fri 28 Aug) – singing, dancing and instrument-playing concert.
- Winter Wanderland Balwyn (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – arts trail by local artists with and without disability is set to brighten Whitehorse Road.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 28 Aug – Mon 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Victoria Gardens, Forest Hill (Sat 29 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Erth’s Dinosaur Zoo Karralyka Theatre (Tue 1 Sep) – See dinosaurs come to life in this educational theatre show. READ THE REVIEW.
- Wildlife Heroes at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 28 Aug – Fri 18 Sep) – new indoor play space is designed especially for our little heroes and will entice kids to play and dress-up as our wildlife hospital rescue team, saving their own plush patients. READ THE REVIEW. There’s a member’s party on Sat 29 Aug.
- Dockyard Food Truck Fridays Williamstown (Fri 28 Aug) – Last day of winter food truck park at Seaworks. READ THE REVIEW.
- Pacific Community Fair Werribee (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – family entertainment, tasty treats, retailer offers.
- Play at Incinerator Gallery (Fri 28 Aug – Sun 27 Sep) – sculpture of large colourful forms you can play with. READ THE REVIEW.
- Yarraville Markets (Sat 29 Aug) – indoor market full of delicious handmade,gorgeous products. Everything sold will be reduced at this market.
- Essendon Market for Designers and Creators (Sat 29 Aug) – home decor, handmade creations, gourmet food, student design space.
- Kids Creation Challenge Footscray Makers Lab (Sat 29 Aug) – use some everyday materials and simple tools, combined with their own imaginations, to solve open ended puzzles.
- Fairy Park Anakie reopening (Sat 29 Aug) – Australia’s oldest theme park reopens for the summer season. READ THE REVIEW.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 29 Aug, Thu 3 Sep) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Highpoint, Watergardens (Sat 29 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Melbourne Mammas Market Kensington Town Hall (Sun 30 Aug) – Save 50%-80% off more than 100 designer kids labels, clothing, shoes, accessories, decor, toys & more.
- 5 Rhythms Dance at FCAC (Mon 31 Aug) – Together, big and little feet will dance expressively through the rhythms of Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness. Best suited for toddlers and walkers (up to 5 years).
- Music for Toddlers at FCAC (Tue 1 Sep, Wed 3 Sep) – Immerse yourself in super cool music and take a rollicking ride through music, dance and percussion.