This week it’s all about books, with Book Week activities happening at most local libraries and the start of the Melbourne Writers Festival. (Image from our visit toFind Me a Castle at Lamington Drive Collingwood)
- Docklands Winter Fireworks (Fri 21 Aug) – Fireworks every Friday night at 7:30pm during July and August with other FREE entertainment happening along the promenade from 6:30-8:30pm).
- Federation Square Book Market with Mitch Vane (Sat 22 Aug) – Watch her illustrating on the big screen in the Atrium and see first hand how she created the images for her Little Lunch books.
- Shake, Stir, Mix and Paint (Sat 22 Aug) – Illustrator Ann James is running a workshop showing kids how she illustrated I’m a Dirty Dinosaur by shaking, stirring and mixing paint, sprinkles and chocolate icing!
- Ninja Nannas & Pirate Pops (Sat 22 Aug) – a quiz, a reading and a lesson on drawing awesome grandparents with Damon Young. My Pop is a Pirate was featured in the First Tuesday Book Club in May.
- Frank Woodley: Kizmet (Sat 22 Aug) – Join Woodley as he introduces us to the world of his newest character, Kizmet. FREE no recommended age.
- Sticks and Stones, Animal Homes (Sat 22 Aug) – a rerun of the excellent ArtPlay workshop run by Tai Snaith. READ THE REVIEW.
- Dramatic Lines (Sat 22 Aug) – a rerun of the excellent ArtPlay workshop run by Elise Hurst. READ THE REVIEW.
- Festival Forum: Kids Creative Workshop (Sat 22 Aug) – Join 100 Story Building for an artist-led creative workshop asking if you had a penpal in Afghanistan, what might they be telling you right now? For 9-12 years.
- Indigenous Hip Hop (Sat 22 Aug) – Join two singer/songwriters from Indigenous Hip Hop Projects, as they perform and host an interactive workshop where students can ask questions, learn and get inspired.
- A Whimsy of Collective Nouns (Sat 22 Aug – Draw your favourite collective noun, real or imagined, with illustrator Helen Kocis Edwards.
- Laneway Learning Science Spectacular (Sun 23 Aug) – day of discovery, experiments and learning with free and paid workshops.
- Watercolour Whiskers (Sun 23 Aug) – learn the pencil drawing and watercolour techniques Elizabeth Honey used to create her unique family of Australian animals in new book Hop Up! Wriggle Over!
- Get Crafty with Violet Mackerel (Sun 23 Aug 12pm) – Author Anna Branford will help you discover the creative world of Violet Mackerel and teach you how to make some of Violet’s crafty ideas.
- Sploosh, Bomp, Whump, Aaaah! (Sun 23 Aug 2:30pm) – learn to draw fantastic characters from Anders and the Comet, have fun with words, and how to create comic strips. For 9-12 years.
- Winter Night Market at Queen Victoria Market (Wed 26 Aug) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter.
- Bunyips and Dragons NGV Australia (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 4 Oct) – large-scale works from more than 60 of Australia’s best-loved book illustrators. READ THE REVIEW.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- Find Me a Castle Collingwood (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 5 Sep) – Interactive exhibition coinciding with launch of Beci Orpin’s latest publication, ‘Find me a Castle’ a children’s look-and-find picture book. READ THE REVIEW.
- Big Dreams Yard Sale (Sat 22 Aug) – toys, clothing, homewares, bedding, shoes starting from $1.
- Let’s Play Games with Baby Love Music Fun at Clifton Creative Centre (Sat 22 Aug) – interactive concert will feature several fun ways to start playing some awesome development games with your little one.
- Coburg Farmers Market (Sat 22 Aug) – Fresh produce from farmers and growers who come from all regions across Victoria.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Greensborough, Broadmeadows (Sat 22 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) – all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Glow Winter Arts Festival (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) -arts, culture and food festival. Read the kid-friendly guide.
- Arts Burst (Fri 21 Aug – Sat 22 Aug) – From 5:30pm Arts Burst will takeover the streets of Windsor, Prahran and South Yarra. See SOLAR BUGS that soak up the sun by day and at night time they glow, listen to music by The Fruity Hooties, watch a film by Projector Bike and encounter large-scale puppets by Snuff Puppets.
- Greville Projections (Fri 21 Aug – Sat 22 Aug) – The team behind the Gertrude Street Projection Festival travel south this winter to light up the nooks and crannies of one of Prahran’s most iconic streets.
- Frankston Anywhere Festival (Fri 21 Aug – Mon 6 Sep) – comedy, dance, theatre, music and much more in the nooks and crannies of Frankston, anywhere but a theatre.
- Prahran Market’s Spring Lamb Festival (Sat 22 Aug) – children’s cooking activity to celebrate lamb.
- Storytime with Frank Woodley Readings St Kilda (Sat 22 Aug) – Woodley reads from his new series about Kizmet, Gretchen and Detective Spencer.
- Trailer Park at The Village (Sat 22 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) – This August, Melbourne’s finest food trucks will gather in the Village Garden. Each weekend will showcase food from a different continent.
- Model Train exhibition Caulfield (Sat 22 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) – Victoria’s premier model train exhibition.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Frankston (Sat 22 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) -all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Gingerbread decorating South Melbourne (Sun 23 Aug) – free gingerbread decorating and get the chance to win a $50 Market voucher for the most imaginative gingerbread creation!
- Circus fun at Dandenong Market (Sun 23 Aug) – Pantomime Storytelling, circus show, magic show and circus play space.
- Kids Mornings Southland (Wed 26 Aug) – Pack your bags for an around the world adventure every Wednesday at Kids Mornings.
- Winter Wanderland Balwyn (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – arts trail by local artists with and without disability is set to brighten Whitehorse Road.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 21 Aug – Mon 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- St Peters Book Fair East Melbourne (Sat 22 Aug) – annual must-see for book lovers, vintage collectors and bargain hunters. Relax and soak up the atmosphere in the tranquil surrounds of this special church. Coffee and cake will be available from the Social Enterprise coffee cart.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Victoria Gardens, Forest Hill (Sat 22 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) – all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Wildlife Heroes at Healesville Sanctuary (Fri 21Aug – 31 August) – new indoor play space is designed especially for our little heroes and will entice kids to play and dress-up as our wildlife hospital rescue team, saving their own plush patients. READ THE REVIEW.
- Highpoint Feel Good Festival (Thu 20 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) – an adult size ball pit, craft workshops and a free flower delivery.
- Dockyard Food Truck Fridays Williamstown (Fri 21 Aug) – winter food truck park at Seaworks. READ THE REVIEW.
- Art in August Wyndham (Fri 21 Aug – Sun 6 Sep) – A month long expo of art , craft and culture all under the one roof including kids disco 22 Aug.
- Astronomy and Light Festival Scienceworks (Sat 22 Aug) – evening of light (and dark) related fun at Scienceworks in Spotswood, featuring astronomers and optics researchers.
- Mamma Knows West & Aly’s Books Fest (Sat 22 Aug) – workshops and readings to celebrate Book Week.
- Altona Beach Film Festival (Sat 22 Aug) – family-friendly festival of short films.
- Hula Hooping for Kids Kensington (Sat 22 Aug) – Learn the techniques of some basic hoop foundation moves.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 22 Aug, Thu 27 Aug) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games.
- Thomas & Friends: Legend of the Lost Treasure at Hoyts Jnr Watergardens (Sat 22 Aug – Sun 23 Aug) -all new Thomas & Friends adventure on the big screen.
- Jack Madigan Reserve opening (Sun 23 Aug) – Jack Madigan Reserve will be reopened to the community with a planting day, local music and food, and children’s activities.
- The Mik Maks Werribee (Sun 23 Aug) – Geelong children’s band’s new season of live Melbourne shows for the imminent release of their second CD.
- Kids Own’ Book Cubby unveiling Altona North Library (Sun 23 Aug) – mobile library dedicated to showcasing books made by children for children. CBCA shortlisted author Claire Saxby will be our special guest and help us to turn children into authors.
- 5 Rhythms Dance at FCAC (Mon 24 Aug) – Together, big and little feet will dance expressively through the rhythms of Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness. Best suited for toddlers and walkers (up to 5 years).
- Music for Toddlers at FCAC (Tue 25 Aug, Wed 26 Aug) – Immerse yourself in super cool music and take a rollicking ride through music, dance and percussion.
- Mums & Bubs Movies Sessions Wyndham Cultural Centre (Thu 27 Aug) – see films on the big screen in a child friendly environment and at an affordable price.