Little Free Library is a global, grassroots movement of community-based book exchanges. People build miniature libraries (using recycled materials) and an honesty system allows people to borrow from the library and in turn donate their pre-loved books.
Little Free Libraries promote literacy and the love of reading and help to build a sense of community. I love the feeling of discovery – suddenly stumbling across a Little Free Library where every book is a potential source of inspiration!
Melbourne has many Little Free Library book exchanges. They spring up in front yards, on bike paths and at train stations. Here’s a list of where to find them and other book swaps.
- Melbourne Central, Level 2 Cnr LaTrobe and Swanston Street, Melbourne
- The Moat, 176 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne
- Knowledge Market, 892 Victoria Street, Docklands
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- 10 Bowmore Ave, Park Orchards
- 901 Main Road, Hurstbridge
- South Crescent Westgarth
- 159a Smith St Thornbury
- Rossmoyne St, Thornbury
- 62 Kendall St, Preston
- 173 Edward St Brunswick
- 28 Pearl St Northcote
- Upfield bicycle path, Coburg
- Dawson St Brunswick
- cnr Aberdeen Rd and Birdwood Ave Macleod
- Birdwood Ave Macleod
- Inside Barkly Square shopping centre
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Gasworks Arts Park, Albert Park
- Brighton Primary School
- Balston Street Balaclava (says Carlisle St but actually around the corner on Balston St)
- George Walter’s Garden, corner of Bay and Raglan Streets, Port Melbourne
- Garden City, Port Melbourne
- Rosny St Port Melbourne
- Cowderoy Park St Kilda East (from 8 October)
- Olives Corner Port Melbourne (from 8 October)
- Station Pier Port Melbourne (from 8 October)
- Alma Park St Kilda (from 8 October)
- Murchinson St St Kilda (from 8 October)
- 87 Tennyson Street, Elwood (from 8 October)
- 13 Kent Street, Hawthorn
- 2 Florence Street, Blackburn
This list has been partly compiled by Kel Devoil at Melbourne Minor, a parent and carer’s guide to art, culture and quirky in Melbourne.
- 5 Hobbs St Seddon
- Bellair St Seddon (opposite train station)
- Hotham St Seddon
- Seventh Ave Altona North
- 117 Mason St, Newport
- Somerville Rd Yarraville
- Cnr Hansen Rd and Nesnah St West Footscray
- Pin Oak Crescent Flemington
- Kingsville St Kingsville
- Goulburn St Yarraville
- on the corner of Keilor Road and Bradshaw street, Essendon
- 83 Elphin St Newport
Last but not least I run the Book Swap Bike, a community book swapping event where everything comes out of a cargo bike!
Let me know at email@example.com if there’s a Little Free Library near you that’s missing from the list.
And if you’re wanting to buy or borrow some children’s literature, check out my Top 10 list of Melbourne’s best children’s bookstores and Melbourne best libraries.