Hooray for August’s wintery fun! Photo from our visit to NGV’s newest children’s exhibition Bunyips and Dragons.
- Docklands Winter Fireworks (Fri 31 Jul) – Fireworks every Friday night at 7:30pm during July and August with other FREE entertainment happening along the promenade from 6:30-8:30pm).
- European Night Market at Madame Brussels Lane (Fri 31 Jul) – take in the rich European aromas of mulled wine, German sausages and freshly baked pretzels as they browse the mix of new and returning food stalls.
- Erth’s Dinosaur Zoo Arts Centre Melbourne (Sat 1 Aug – Sun 2 Aug) – fun, educational and unique performance, where little dinosaur lovers can connect with the wonders of paleontology.
- Kids Flicks at ACMI (Sat 1 Aug – Sun 2 Aug) – ACMI’s curated program of children’s films.
- Pirate Sunday at Polly Woodside (Sun 2 Aug) – Dress as a pirate and come help us search for hidden treasure, play tug of war and have your face painted.
- Scarecrow Making at Pop Up Patch (Sun 2 Aug) – Make your very own scarecrow with Little Veggie Patch Co.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 2 Aug) – A unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Dance A Story Artplay (Wed 5 Aug) – Beginning with a book you will explore a story’s themes and lines using your body in the most playful of ways. Make shapes, and faces, free form movement and stretches, twirls and jumps all to music that everyone can enjoy.
- Winter Night Market at Queen Victoria Market (Wed 5 Aug) – best of winter food, design and theatrics to the market every Wednesday during winter.
- Artplay Inside Out (Thu 6 Aug) – create an artwork or build a play space with your little one every Thursday at Artplay.
- Out of the Blue Arts Centre Melbourne (Thu 6 Aug – Sun 9 Aug) – A spellbinding, intimate performance for babies and toddlers aged 6 – 18 months (and their grown-ups).
- Bunyips and Dragons NGV Australia (Sat 25 Jul – Sun 4 Oct) – large-scale works from more than 60 of Australia’s best-loved book illustrators. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Lion King at Regent Theatre (until October) – Disney film brought to life on stage.
NORTH / NORTH-EAST
- TiniTrader Pop-Up Marketplace (Thu 30 Aug – Sun 2 Aug) – 10 styled rooms in a stunning gallery space filled with the best babies and kids products with everything on display available for sale.
- Wilson Avenue New Public Space Launch (Sat 1 Aug) – Featuring family friendly entertainment along with the launch of the new urban bouldering wall.
- Molly and Pim story time Little Bookrorm (Sat 1 Aug) – Sally Rippin reading Molly and Pim.
- Collingwood Children’s Farm Family Day (Sun 2 Aug) – Pony Rides, Tractor rides, Guinea Pig cuddles, Cow milking and BBQ lunch.
- PBS Rock-a-bye Baby Fitzroy (Thu 6 July) – concert for under 5s with great music.
- Renee Treml story time Little Bookroom (Thu 6 Jul) – songs and rhymes and lots of stomping and a little bit of crafting – we’re making Wombat Masks!
- Wild About Art at Melbourne Zoo (Sat 27 Jun – Sun 31 Aug) – Art and wildlife come together this winter.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Trailer Park at The Village (Sat 1 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – This August, Melbourne’s finest food trucks will gather in the Village Garden. Each weekend will showcase food from a different continent.
- Launch of Hank Marvin (Sat 1 Aug) – food trucks, fresh produce every Saturday at Alma Park.
- Winter Wanderland Balwyn (Sat 1 Aug – Sun 30 Aug) – arts trail by local artists with and without disability is set to brighten Whitehorse Road.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Sat 1 Aug – Mon 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings.
- Sadako, origami and one thousand paper cranes Hawthorn (Thu 6 Aug) – display of 1,000 paper cranes for peace. Join us for an origami extravaganza and reading of Sadako and the thousand paper cranes.
- Wildlife Heroes at Healesville Sanctuary (Sat 27 June to 31 August) – new indoor play space is designed especially for our little heroes and will entice kids to play and dress-up as our wildlife hospital rescue team, saving their own plush patients. READ THE REVIEW.
- Dockyard Food Truck Fridays Williamstown (Fri 31 July) – last date for food truck park at Seaworks. READ THE REVIEW.
- Mums & Bubs Movies Sessions Wyndham Cultural Centre (Fri 31 July) – see films on the big screen in a child friendly environment and at an affordable price.
- Electric Fields Festival Highpoint (Fri 31 Jul – Sun 2 Aug) – entertainment, delicious food and game shows to launch Highpoint’s Level 1 Casual Dining and Entertainment precinct.
- The Little Mermaid Jnr Williamstown (Fri 31 July – Sun 16 Aug) – In a magical kingdom fathoms below, the beautiful young mermaid Ariel longs to leave her ocean home to live in the world above.
- Let It Snow High Tea (Sat 1 Aug) – Frozen-themed afternoon tea with Karaoke, Games, Prizes, Cupcake Decorating, Face Painting.
- Community Planting Day at Pioneer Park, Sydenham (Sat 1 Aug) – re-introduce beautiful wildflowers into these urban grasslands.
- Art in August Wyndham (Sat 1 Aug – Sun 6 Sep) – A month long expo of art , craft and culture all under the one roof including kids disco 22 Aug.
- Toddler and Preschool Circus Club (Sat 1 Aug, Thu 6 Aug) – Explore aerials, balances, circus circuits and games.
- Little Kids Day In Scienceworks (Mon 3 Aug) – fun day especially for kids aged under 6 years, their parents and carers, with special programs and no school groups.
- 5 Rhythms Dance at FCAC (Mon 3 Aug) – Together, big and little feet will dance expressively through the rhythms of Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness. Best suited for toddlers and walkers (up to 5 years).
- Music for Toddlers at FCAC (Tue 4 Aug, Wed 5 Aug) – Immerse yourself in super cool music and take a rollicking ride through music, dance and percussion.