Saturday 25 April is ANZAC Day so many shops, cafes and public institutions eg libraries will be closed, at least in the morning. The museums (Melbourne Museum, Scienceworks, Immigration Museum), zoos (Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Healesville Sanctury, Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium) and galleries (NGV Australia and NGV International) will all be open. Here’s a list of other events for 0-5s happening in Melbourne this week.
CBD / DOCKLANDS
- Rain at Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 24 Apr – Sun 26 Apr) – Grownups and their littlest ones are immersed in an installation space full of surprise, delight and opportunities for connection through music, touch and performance.
- Tingle Tangle at Artplay (Fri 24 Apr, Fri 8 May) – Come and stretch, wind, wobble and play in a big tangle of fun!
- Family Fun Days at Harbour Town (Sat 25 Apr, Sun 26 Apr) – Kids able to ride on the free Harbour Town Express Train, plus enjoy many more activities that change every weekend.
- KLM Dutch Orange Day 2015 (Sun 26 Apr) – enjoy live entertainment with a taste of Holland at the largest Dutch celebration in Australia.
- Tall Ship Enterprise Sailing (Sun 26 Apr) – View Docklands from an 1830s tall ship and experience what life was like aboard these majestic vessels that once sailed our oceans.
- Opera Australia Open Day at Arts Centre Melbourne (Sun 26 Apr) – Preview the set of Don Giovanni, hear from the conductor about the music and see the costumes, wigs and props up close. Try on a costume and watch the elaborate makeup process step-by-step.
- National Pretzel Day at Munich Brauhaus (Sun 26 Apr) – a day of fun-filled Bavarian antics including a family lunch, face painter and live oompah band.
- Scarecrow Making at Federation Square (Sun 26 Apr) – Bring the kids to Fed Square’s rooftop veggie garden, Pop Up Patch, and help them make their very own scarecrow to take home.
- Mosaic Festival at City Square (Sun 26 Apr) – live music and dance and the best culinary treats and trinkets from around the world.
- Batmania (Fri 24 Apr – Tue 28 Apr) – In Kathy Holowko’s awe-inspiring new exhibition, 200 flying bat sculptures are suspended from the cavernous heights of the Atrium at Fed Square.
- Kids’ Flicks at ACMI (Sat 18 Apr – Sun 3 May) – ACMI’s curated weekend program of children’s films is showing Babe.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Sun 26 Apr) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Vegan Bake Off at CERES (Sun 26 Apr) – enjoy some yummy donated baked goodies, enter your masterpiece into the bake off to win some great prizes, stock up at the ALV and Uproar stalls, grab something from the barbecue and watch some awesome cooking demos!
- Wombat’s Secret Maze at Melbourne Zoo (until 31 May) – open air wooden maze all around the theme of…poo!
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- The Creators Market in Prahran (Fri 24 Apr) – fashion to fine art, candles to wood carvings, painting to illustrations, kids clothes to soap bombs.
- Fairy Petunia at South Melbourne Market (Wed 29 Apr) – free storytelling, drawing, face painting, games, bubbles and more.
- Kids activities at Prahran Market (Sun 26 Apr, Tue 28 Apr, Thu 30 Apr) – free face painting, Mexican music man, petting zoo and dance classes on market days.
Lion King costume exhibition at Eastland (until 15 May) – Set models, design drawings, original costumes and behind-the-scenes footage.
- Little Art Big Art free workshops in Altona (Fri 24 Apr, Sat 25 Apr) – little and big artists are invited to take part in creating a community artwork.
- Light up Crown Street Stables (Fri 24 Apr) – short films, refreshments, finger food, illumination of iconic building.
- Footscray Primary School Global Jamboree (Fri 24 Apr) – entertainment, food trucks and activities.
- Pop Up Garage Sale at Woods Street Art Space Laverton (Sun 26 Apr) – Adult and kids clothing, artisan products, vintage items, cakes, vinyl, books and more. Entertainment, pop-up coffee and food trucks throughout the day.
- The Colour Club at Highpoint (Mon 27 Apr) – fully supervised and free program offering exciting activities for kids every Monday
- Rumble in the Jungle at Werribee Zoo (Wed 29 Apr) – Bring your pre-schoolers along to the African Village for dancing, singing and drumming workshops plus lawn games, crafts and loads of activities.