One of the many, many ways I experience mummy guilt is about how I feed my family.
I come from a family of foodies and feeding people (well) is one of the cornerstones of how we interact. I love visiting farmers markets and providores, poring over recipe books and cooking delicious meals for friends and family. I find cooking a relaxing activity…when I have time.
And that’s the kicker. Since I had children I have really lost my cooking mojo. I don’t have time nor energy for the whole process now and we eat way too much takeaway for my liking.
So when my foodie friend (and mum of two young kids) suggested I try HelloFresh, I decided to give it a go. And it’s transformed our family’s meals!
HelloFresh is an online ordering system that delivers a weekly box of fresh ingredients and recipes for you to cook at home. Here’s why I love it:
- no more grocery shopping and meal planning! I have a recurring weekly order for 3 meals for 2 adults ($64 or $10.67 per meal) and every week the dishes are different. They inform you of the meals the week before so if there’s something you absolutely hate you can request to change it.
- Admittedly not every meal is something I’d have necessarily chosen to cook – but it’s always good to try new things. And some of the dishes have been so good that I’ve replicated them again with my own ingredients.
- Having an ever-changing menu means that I’m actually excited to open the box every week!
- The meals have generally been child-friendly – not too much chilli and seemingly nutritionally balanced with protein, vegetables and grain.
- The vegetable and meat/fish produce has been good quality. They even tell you what order to cook your meals so as to make the best of the product’s freshness.
- Most ingredients in the required quantities are provided for you, even down to rice and herb garnishes. Some pantry staples are required such as olive oil.
- Any produce I don’t use I freeze, refrigerate or keep in the pantry for next time. You can pause deliveries if you’re going away or you know you won’t be able to get through the box in a week.
- Every meal takes less than 30 minutes to cook. Both my kids love putting on their aprons and helping with some of the processes (easy as most ingredients are pre-measured) or you can fit it in during an episode of Play School! The instructions are very easy to follow.
- The portions are extremely generous and our 2 adult meals easily feeds 2 adults and 2 children.
- You can choose the size of the box you need, from 3 meals for 2 adults ($64) to 5 meals for 6 adults ($279). Delivery is free.
Combined with a stash of emergency gourmet freezer meals from dish’d, I am hoping to rely less on takeaway this year and to eat better.
If you’d like to try HelloFresh, sign up using my referral code CVHXGL and you get a $40 welcome bonus for your first box. Bon appetit!