A great Christmas gift-giving idea for a friend (or child) that likes baking is to make up a DIY cookie mixture. Basically you layer all the dry ingredients into a pretty glass jar and then make up a gift tag with the instructions. The recipient just needs to empty the jar into a bowl, add the wet ingredients, mix and bake. Ta-dah! Home made cookies.
McCormick‘s version of Festive Christmas Cookies in a jar is a delicious and fun cookie mixture that is super easy for kids to make.
Festive Christmas Cookies in a Jar
- 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup chocolate buttons/smarties (we used red and green)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips – you could also swap out for nuts or fruit but then you should probably set a short used by date
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp McCormick ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp McCormick ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp McCormick ground All Spice
To layer the ingredients, add the spices to the brown sugar. Add the salt, baking powder and baking soda to the flour. And then starting from the bottom, we added:
Flour Mix, Oats, choc chips, chocolate beanies/smarties, brown sugar mix (the packed brown sugar helps keep the smarties and choc chips in place), white sugar.
Instructions on tag:
Mix with 1 egg, ½ cup melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Method on tag:
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use the back of a large spoon to work it all together.
- Roll cookie dough into tablespoon size balls, place on baking paper lined trays and bake in preheated oven 180ºC for about 10 minutes.
Makes approx. 24 small cookies.
Giveaway! Thanks to McCormick I have 4 x Festive Fairy Dust Prize packs on offer for Australia’s little masterchefs. Each pack includes McCormick All Spice Ground 30g, McCormick Cinnamon Ground 32g, McCormick Cinnamon Sugar 60g, McCormick Cloves Whole 25g, McCormick Mixed Spice 30g, McCormick Nutmeg Ground 30g, McCormick Vanillin Sugar 65g, McCormick Ginger Ground 25g, Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter Set and a Christmas Stocking.
To win all you have to do is follow the instructions below. Four winners will be randomly selected and notified via email and the prize posted to you. Competition closes midnight Monday 15 December. Good luck!