Golly only 7 weeks until Christmas! That means Christmas events are already starting to pop up in this week’s events list (Photo from Myer Giftorium).
CBD / DOCKLANDS
- Myer Giftorium grand opening at Bourke Street Mall (Sat 8 Nov) – Jennifer Hawkins will unveil the Myer Melbourne animated Christmas Windows, followed by a performance by The Voice 2013 winner Harrison Craig and the arrival of Santa. READ THE REVIEW.
- Ann James at Federation Square book market (Sat 8 Nov) – Watch the artist at work and have some books personally signed !
- The story sessions with Leigh Hobbs at State Library of Victoria (Sun 9 Nov) – Find out how Leigh creates characters like Old Tom, and then use all your skills to create a giant collaborative storybook.
- Melbourne Design Market at Federation Square undercover carpark (Sun 9 Nov) – 50 of the best local designers at Melbourne’s original design market.
- Carsten Holler’s Golden Mirror Carousel at Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 10 Oct – Sun 1 Mar) – the spectacular life-size Golden Mirror Carousel offers visitors to Federation Court a powerfully different physical and mental encounter than its traditional fairground counterpart. READ THE REVIEW
- Express Yourself: Romance was Born For Kids at NGV International (Fri 17 Oct – Sun 22 Mar) – This contemporary project for kids provides the ideal platform for designers Luke Sales and Anna Plunkett to share their whimsical and compelling vision with visitors of all ages. READ THE REVIEW.
- Grasslands at State Library of Victoria (Sat 11 Oct – Sun 23 Nov) – Melbourne artist Linda Tegg is transforming the front steps and forecourt of the State Library into a re-creation of that lushly planted landscape.
- Kids Commission by Keith Wong at The Front Docklands (Sat 18 Oct – Sat 8 Nov) – interactive work involving milk dripping from the ceiling that will have you wondering if the gallery has sprung a leak!
- Peppa Pig Live! Treasure Hunt (Wed 5 Nov – Wed 12 Nov) – In this beautiful theatrical production, Peppa Pig and her friends set off on a treasure hunt.
- Farmers Market at the Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 8 Nov) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). READ THE REVIEW.
- What does Santa do when it’s not Christmas book launch at The Little Bookroom (Sat 8 Nov) – Author Heath McKenzie will launch his book with behind-the-scenes gallery, festive treats and gift with purchase. READ THE REVIEW.
- Maya the Bee at Hoyts Jnr Northlands and Greensborough (Sat 8 Nov – Sun 9 Nov) – Set against the backdrop of a longstanding conflict between bees and hornets, Maya is born into a world of order and rules. Her hilariously awkward attempts to fit in and “be a bee” immediately bring her into trouble with the narrow-minded royal advisor, Buzzlina.
- Abbotsford Convent 10th Anniversary Open Day (Sun 9 Nov) – experience free children’s workshops from celebrated local icon Circus Oz, sit in on an acting rehearsal by the internationally renowned National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA) and join roving events such as African drumming and ukulele lessons.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Holy Saviour Community Festival at Vermont South (Sat 8 Nov) – Exciting entertainment all day and into the night with bands, pizza and bar open until 8:30pm.
- Cirque de Santa at Westfield Southland (Sat 8 Nov) – Featuring the fabulous ‘Petite Circus’ as well as stilt walkers, jugglers, Diablo artists, contortionists, balloon modellers, face painting, hoop artists and SO much more.
- Dandenong Show (Sat 8 Nov – Sun 9 Nov) – carnival rides, animal competitions, live music, spectacular fireworks display.
- Family Open Cockpit Day at Moorrabin Airport (Sat 8 Nov) – Open cockpits include F-111, Vickers Viscount, Canberra, Hunter, C-47, DH Sea Venom and more. Aircraft engine runs, model kits store, Military Vehicle display and motorcycle display from Antique Motorcycles.. For the kids – large jumping castle, fairy floss, popcorn and paper plane competition.
- Bark In The Park at Rippon Lea (Sat 8 Nov) – Rippon Lea Estate welcomes dogs on leads and owners to enjoy the magnificent grounds and gardens. You’ll also find homemade dog treats available in the café.
- Valkstone Primary School Fair at Bentleigh East (Sun 9 Nov) – Cakes, Auction, Lollies, Games, Rides, Show Bags, Crafts, Animal Farm, Plants, Raffles, Novelties, Toys, Fairy Floss, TreasureHunt, Photobooth.
- Emerald Hill Festival in South Melbourne (Sun 9 Nov) – Free kids weaving at the ATW from 10am to 4pm plus heaps of other activities, music and more.
- MoreArt Tour of Brunswick with Culture Mamas (Fri 7 Nov) – Take a trip down the train line with your little one, starting at Gowrie Station with a jewelry making workshop with artist Roseanne Bartly, then continue down the line to Anstey station to take in the artworks installed along the Upfield bike path. The tour will finish up at a child-friendly cafe in Brunswick.
- Santa’s Magical Wonderland at Westfield Eastland (Sat 8 Nov – Wed 24 Dec) – Enjoy an enchanting Christmas at Eastland and visit Santa’s Magical Wonderland at Centre Court, Level 1. Hail the festive season with a range of activites including story telling and craft activities.
- Family Festival at Finns in Lower Templestowe (Sun 9 Nov) – Family festival featuring craft, food and community information stalls, animal farm, camel and pony rides, children’s rides, and entertainment.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 9 Nov) – Discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- Maroondah Festival in Croydon (Sun 9 Nov) – community displays, tasty food vendors, market stalls, roving entertainment and amusement rides.
- Inside the Brick at Seaworks Williamstown (Sat 8 Nov – Sun 9 Nov) – Two day LEGO exhibition for fans.
- Footscray Community Arts Centre 40th birthday (Sat 8 Nov) – food vans, creative soapboxes, installations, exhibitions and workshops
- Riverside Park Upgrade Information Session (Sat 8 Nov) – Come along to find out more about the Riverside Park Upgrade. Entertainment and activities for the kids including face painting and balloons.
- Maya the Bee at Hoyts Jnr Highpoint (Sat 8 Nov – Sun 9 Nov) and Sun Theatre Yarraville (Sat 8 Nov – Wed 12 Nov) – Set against the backdrop of a longstanding conflict between bees and hornets, Maya is born into a world of order and rules. Her hilariously awkward attempts to fit in and “be a bee” immediately bring her into trouble with the narrow-minded royal advisor, Buzzlina.
- Homespun Fair at Moonee Ponds Baptist Church (Sun 9 Nov) – Hand made clothes, manchester, arts and crafts.
- World Vegan Day at Melbourne Showgrounds (Sun 9 Nov) – lots of food, workshops and classes there is a dedicated kids area with Badge making, Hand print animal puppet making, A scavenger hunt for older children, Babies ball pit, Play structure and slide, Reading tent with vegan themed books, Story telling session, Face painting, Balloons and entertainer.
- Piccadilly Market at Williamstown Town Hall (Sun 9 Nov) – arts, crafts, handmade and designer goods. READ THE REVIEW.
- Williamstown Farmers Market (Sun 9 Nov) – petting zoo and fresh produce.