Roll on December with lots of fun pre-Christmas and non-Christmas events happening this week. (Photo from our visit to Emily Floyd: The Dawn at NGV Australia)
- Christmas Festival Launch (Fri 28 Nov) – At City Square enjoy a family Christmas concert, the exciting arrival of Santa, and the spectacular lighting of the Christmas tree.
- Santa in Christmas Square (Sat 29 Nov – Wed 24 Dec) – meet Santa at City Square (renamed Christmas Square during December) and tell him all your Christmas wishes.
- Christmas Square in City Square (Sat 29 Nov – Thu 25 Dec) – nutcracker soldiers, interactive candy canes, Christmas buskers, free photos with Santa, daily sound and light shows.
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea storytime at Library at the Dock (Fri 27 Nov) – Celebrate the stage production of The Tiger Who Came to Tea with reading and crafts.
- Our Christmas Gift concert at Hamer Hall (Sat 29 Nov) – family concert spectacular featuring carols, entertainment and music
- Docklands Festival of Giving (Sun 30 Nov) – Show ‘n Shine Motor Show, a Zumbathon, comedians and roving performers.
- Little Dog and the Christmas Wish window launch at Little Bookroom (Sun 30 Nov) – meet author Corinne Fenton and illustration demonstration.
- Spirit of the Square at Federation Square (Mon 1 Dec – Wed 25 Dec) – Sibling transforms The Square with Whiteout, an installation of large, snow-white spheres that will pop up throughout The Square. Plus daily program of free events.
- Gingerbread Village at Melbourne Town Hall (Mon 1 Dec – Tue 24 Dec) – see some recognisable landmarks, including the Melbourne Town Hall, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Luna Park and a zoo, all connected by the Christmas train.
- Thursday Christmas Market (Thu 4 Dec) – Each Thursday, L Shed will play host to specialist Christmas traders providing a huge range of festive wares.
- German Christmas Market (Thu 4 Dec) – traditional German Christmas market with stollen, wuerstchen and lebkuchen and beautiful Christmas decorations and gifts.
- Emily Floyd: The Dawn at NGV Australia (Fri 21 Nov – Sun 1 Mar) – new free kid-friendly exhibition of Melbourne artist Emily Floyd. READ THE REVIEW.
- Santa’s Christmas Spectacular at Wonderland Fun Park (Sat 15 Nov – Tue 24 Dec) – daily snow falls, talking tree and Santa’s Mailbox to post those special letters. Also Santa’s Circus Spectacular Show.
- Carsten Holler’s Golden Mirror Carousel at Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 10 Oct – Sun 1 Mar) – the spectacular life-size Golden Mirror Carousel offers visitors to Federation Court a powerfully different physical and mental encounter than its traditional fairground counterpart. READ THE REVIEW.
- Express Yourself: Romance was Born For Kids at NGV International (Fri 17 Oct – Sun 22 Mar) – This contemporary project for kids provides the ideal platform for designers Luke Sales and Anna Plunkett to share their whimsical and compelling vision with visitors of all ages. READ THE REVIEW.
- Festival of Colours at CERES (Sat 29 Nov) – Festival of colours called “Holi” in India is a social cultural festival during which people smear a wide range of colours over their bodies as a mark of love and belongings.
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea event at Impala & Peacock (Sun 30 Nov) – special tiger afternoon tea party with cupcakes, storytime, games and face painting.
- Big Dreams Northcote shopping night (Wed 3 Dec) – live music, giveaways, surprise discounts.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Santa’s Magical Kingdom at Caulfield Racecourse (Sat 15 Nov – Tue 23 Dec) – magical Christmas walk-through wonderland, Snow Castle and Activity Land, Christmas craft area, Ferris Wheel, Santa’s Sleigh Ride and Australia’s largest super slide. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea storytime at Beaumaris Library (Fri 27 Nov) – Celebrate the stage production of The Tiger Who Came to Tea with reading and crafts.
- Frankstons Christmas Festival Of Lights (Sat 29 Nov) – Bring together your family and friends and create your magical family memory at Frankston’s Christmas Festival of Lights.
- Santa’s Christmas Spectacular at Sandown Racecourse (Sat 29 Nov – Sun 30 Nov) – exciting thrill rides and family rides, awesome entertainment including face painters, animals and stilt walkers, live stage shows.
- Out and About Family Fun Day Albert Park (Sun 30 Nov) – Have you face painted, hold a baby animal or get crafty at the creative Corner, be entertained by our clowns and magicians, join a music workshop and get into all the action at the Melbounre Sports & Aquatic Centre.
- Xmas Mamas Market at The Deck Brighton (Tue 2 Dec) – Have a coffee, meet fabulous mums and enjoy yummy morning tea specials kindly offered The Deck Brighton. Event is a fundraiser for St Kilda Mums.
- Santa’s Magical Wonderland at Westfield Eastland (Sat 8 Nov – Wed 24 Dec) – Enjoy an enchanting Christmas at Eastland and visit Santa’s Magical Wonderland at Centre Court, Level 1. Hail the festive season with a range of activites including story telling and craft activities.
- Frozen at Kew Junction (Sat 29 Nov) – roving entertainers, face-painters and carolers on the Saturdays leading up to Christmas, complementing the Frozen theme and bringing the street to life.
- Things Artisan Market at Toorak Primary School (Sat 29 Nov) – over 70 of Melbourne’s best artisans and emerging independent designers selling quality one of a kind products.
- Lark Warehouse sale Richmond (Sat 29 Nov) – Up to 70% off surplus, samples and seconds.
- Meet the Minions at Eastland (Sun 30 Nov) – meet and greet sessions.
- Mayor lights Footscray Town Hall for Christmas (Fri 28 Nov) – Free entertainment, Santa and other kids activities.
- Rotary Williamstown Christmas Fair (Sun 30 Nov) – rides, activities, market stalls, free face painting, clowns and entertainment for kids and their families.
- Friendly Neighbours Family Day at Beaton Reserve (Sun 30 Nov) – mini festival will aim to engage with the local Yarraville community and strengthen connections with community clubs and groups.
- Baby & Kids Market at Flemington Racecourse (Sun 30 Nov) – The biggest range of preloved baby & kids goods under one roof.