School holidays start next week but there’s still loads to do this week with your family because the school holiday craziness starts! (Photo from Tai Snaith’s Sticks and Stones workshop at Artplay)
CBD / Docklands
- Nursery at Artplay (Wed 10 Sep – Sat 13 Sep) – Enter the Nursery, a safe and special play space where delight is devised moment by moment and where babies and performers connect.
- Bark! Bark! Bark! A Treehouse exhibition at ArtPlay (Thu 21 Sep – Sun 14 Sep) – exhibition of original illustrations, prints and preliminary works by Terry Denton from the famous Treehouse series created with Andy Griffiths. READ THE REVIEW.
- Nick Jr.’s Dora the Explorer Live! Dora’s Pirate Adventure at Arts Centre Melbourne (Fri 12 Sep – Sat 13 Sep) – Dora, her best buddy Boots the Monkey and the rest of their friends embark on an exciting trip to Treasure Island in search of the ultimate pirate party.
- Tai Snaith Sticks and Stones Animal Homes book launch at Hill of Content bookshop (Sat 13 Sep) – Storytime and burrow drawing workshop.
- Mid-Autumn Lantern Festival at Crown Melbourne (Sat 13 Sep) – performances, lantern making, painting activities, hawker style food.
- Festival de Victor Hugo at State Library of Victoria (Sun 14 Sep) – a day of French-themed fun.
- Mission’s Mexican Festival at Federation Square (Sun 14 Sep) – food, entertainment, market stalls, art exhibition and a cantina/bar. For families there will be Kids’ Corner where children will enjoy activities such as playing music, singing, making piñatas, windmills and painting.
- A Mad Tea Party (Thu 18 Sep – Sun 28 Sep) – Immerse yourself in a carnivalesque Wonderland
- Farmers Market at the Collingwood Children’s Farm (Sat 13 Sep) – Shop local and seasonal produce and visit the Collingwood Children’s Farm for only $2 adult entry (kids free). READ THE REVIEW.
- Island of Lemurs: Madagascar 3D at IMAX Melbourne Museum (Tue 11 Sep – Thu 11 Dec) – Island of Lemurs: Madagascar 3D takes you on a spectacular journey to the remote and wondrous world of Madagascar to meet the lemur.
- Big Dreams Yard Sale (Sat 13 Sep) – up to 80% off items.
- Sisters Market at Brunswick Town Hall (Sat 13 Sep) – Art, craft and food market with local designers.
- The Boxtrolls Little Big Shots Benefit Preview Screening in Northcote (Sat 13 Sep) – Fun filled afternoon of entertainment, prizes and giveaways and help support the future of the festival!
- Book launch with Renee Treml at The Little Bookroom Carlton (Sat 13 Sep) – Launch of the picture book The Great Garden Mystery.
- Basil Sellers Family Art-ivities Melbourne (Sat 13 Sep) – The Basil Sellers Art Prize brings together Melbourne’s dual loves of art and sport. Dive into the exhibition with a curated tour and arty activity designed to entertain and engage the whole family.
- Ponyo at Girls on Film Northcote (Sat 13 Sep) – Kid-friendly film from Hayao Miyazaki at part of the Girls on Film festival.
- Storytime with Tai Snaith at The Little Bookroom Carlton (Thu 18 Sep) – Tai Snaith has just released her second picture book, and it is full of hidden gems that you’ll only discover if you come on down to storytime!
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Lynley Dodd: A Retrospective at Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery (Fri 1 Aug – Sun 21 Sep) – exhibition of over 50 years of work by Lynley Dodd, creator of Hairy Maclary. READ THE REVIEW.
- Tesselaar Tulip Festival (Thu 11 Sep – Tue 7 Oct) – Visit the tulip farm and enjoy the tulip-themed activities. READ THE REVIEW.
- The Great Dim Sim Giveaway at South Melbourne Market (Fri 12 Sep) – come along and get a FREE Dim Sim at the Market’s Great Dim Sim Giveaway. Tell your friends, get on your bikes and come see the team. For ONE HOUR ONLY (10am-11am) Dim Sims for your FREE dimmie!
- Dogs of The World (Sat 13 Sep) – Bring your pooch along for a doggy day out at the Dogs of the World Morning Tea. Your pampered pooch will enjoy puppychinos from Clement Coffee and organic peanut butter biscuits from The Pet Grocer.
- Kids Day Out at South Melbourne Market (Sat 13 Sep) – Bring the kids along for craft where they can try their hand at painting, drawing, building and creating their own masterpieces. There will also be FREE face painting in the Food Hall 10am-2pm. Just $10 per child, Bookings essential.
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea at Readings St Kilda (Sat 13 Sep) – The tea-guzzling tiger himself roars into a very special kid’s story time reading of the classic favourite The Tiger Who Came to Tea.
- The Grand Bazaar at South Melbourne Market (Sun 14 Sep) – dance to the beat of global music, wander the food and general merchandise stalls inside and outside the Market, eat your way through various continents’ cuisine and get the kids creating worldly craft.
- Love Desire & Riches: Princess for a Day at Ripponlea (Sun 14 Sep) – Bring along the kids to these family-friendly sessions which will include princess themed arts and crafts. If children come dressed up as a princess they will win a prize!
- Chadstone VIP Shopping Party (Wed 17 Sep) – story time, face painting and Happy Labstreats plus lots of food to sample and of course shopping offers.
- Silvers Circus at Burvale Hotel (Wed 20 Aug – Sun 14 Sep) – 2 hour show features the new Wheel of Steel, the Phoenix Riders riding the ‘The Globe of Death’ on their motorbikes, amazing hula hooping skills and an electrifying High Wire Act.
- PlayFest launch at Readings Hawthorn (Sat 13 Sep) Alex Papps (as seen on ABC4Kids’ Play School) along with Em Rusicano will celebrate the launch of PlayFest, a new music festival for kids.
- V8 Supercars Event Melbourne (Sat 13 Sep – Sun 14 Sep) – The Disney Fun Zone, featuring a life-sized Lightning McQueen, is revving up for its premiere at the V8 Supercars event. For more information, click here
- Full Moon Festival at Dandenong Market (Sun 14 Sep) – Fun Chinese and Vietnamese cultural celebration, which includes dances, feasting and moon cake eating. There are loads of festival activities for children including lantern making.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 14 Sep) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and face painting for the kids.
- Silvers Circus at Burnley Oval (Wed 17 Sep – Sun 12 Oct) – 2 hour show features the new Wheel of Steel, the Phoenix Riders riding the ‘The Globe of Death’ on their motorbikes, amazing hula hooping skills and an electrifying High Wire Act.
- Heide Art Bubs at Heide Museum of Modern Art (Thu 18 Sep) – Monthly program welcomes parents, babies and toddlers for a morning of musical and art activities, followed by a delicious morning tea from Café Vue at Heide.
- Spring Fullmoon Children Festival at Quan Minh Festival (Sat 13 Sep) – Free lanterns and sweets for children, green tea and moon cake for parents.
- Maribyrnong Makers Market (Sat 13 Sep) – showcases the beautiful and high quality work of crafts people and artists and welcoming visitors to discover the hidden ‘Jewels of the West’.
- Dinosaur playground opening at McNish Reserve Yarraville (Sat 13 Sep) – activities for opening of new playground.
- Yarraville Markets (Sat 13 Sep) – indoor market full of delicious handmade, gorgeous products
- Rescue: Live at Scienceworks (Sun 14 Sep) – Every weekend until 14 Sept meet those who keep Victorians safe, including firefighters, coast guard and search dogs.
- Bundles Of Joy Market (Sun 14 Sep) – market for pre-loved baby or kids’ stuff.
- Starlight family preview screening of The Boxtrolls at Hoyts Watergardens (Sun 14 Sep) – Hoyts have partnered with the Starlight Children’s Foundation on the 14th of September to hold a preview screening of The Boxtrolls to raise much needed funds for the charity.
- Williamstown Farmer’s Market (Sun 14 Sep) – local produce and petting zoo.
- Highpoint Shopping Day (Tue 16 Sep) – Children’s Native Animal Shows and children’s entertainment.