Here are a list of fun activities and events for the last official week of winter! It’s your final opportunity to catch the NGV’s excellent children’s exhibitions Pastello: Draw Act (see photo) and Fashion Detective: Come into the Parlour plus the Melbourne Writers Festival children & families programming starts this week.
CBD / Docklands
- Pastello: Draw Act at Children’s Gallery at NGV International (Sat 10 May – 31 August) – Children will be invited to upend themselves, draw with crayon embellished shoes, use cutlery to leave their marks on tables and wear a crayon-clad helmet and let their heads do the drawing. READ THE REVIEW.
- Fashion Detective: Come into the Parlour at NGV Australia (Sat 10 May – Sun 31 May) – Play games and activities that were popular during Victorian times. READ THE REVIEW.
- Docklands Winter Fireworks (Fri 4 Jul – Tue 29 Aug) – Happening every Friday night at 7pm during July and August. There’s music and fun to keep everyone entertained before and after the fireworks, along the NewQuay Promenade and Piazza.
- Sally Rippin at The Little Library (Sat 23 Aug) – Listen to popular children’s author Sally Rippin read from her best-selling Billie B Brown series inside The Little Library on Level 2 at Melbourne Central.
- Alphabet City Melbourne at ArtPlay (Sat 23 Aug – Sun 24 Aug) – Learn your ABCs in a fun and surprising way with author and illustrator Maree Coote. READ THE REVIEW.
- Living Science at Queen Victoria Market (Sun 24 Aug) – This fun-filled educational event is all about food security, health and sustainability, the environment and new technology.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Arts Burst Pop Up on Chapel St. (Fri 22 Aug – Sat 23 Aug) – Pop-up performances, projections and installations. Experience the street lampoonery of Born in a Taxi, the aerial acrobatics of Kage, NICA circus artists, building projections and more.
- A Mad Tea Party at Mulberry Hill (Sat 23 Aug – Sun 31 Aug) – You are invited to enter Wonderland, explore its enchanting wonders and meet those unique characters. Come share a cup of tea at a delightfully mad party.
- Anna Walker at Prahran Library (Sat 23 Aug) – Illustrator and author Anna Walker invites children to a storytelling session where they will also create and illustrate their own characters.
- St Kilda Steiner Kindergarten Winter Bazaar (Sat 23 Aug) – an event full of winter warming food and drink, surprising and exciting guest entertainers.
- Spanish Fiesta at Prahran Market (Sat 23 Aug) – Enjoy Pop up Paella, Tapas and Churros, Roving entertainers and musicians, Kids cooking activities, Alice in Frames Edible Adventures with Sunny from Movida Next Door, Trader Specials and Promotions.
- Australian Model Railway Exhibition at Caulfield Racecourse (Sat 23 Aug – Sun 24 Aug) – Victoria’s premier model railway exhibition.
- Toddler Tucker at Bubup Nairm Family & Children’s Centre (Wed 27 Aug) – free information session will include information on: Mealtimes; Fussy Eaters; Healthy Food Choices; Dental Care.
- tanner + teague Warehouse Sale North Fitzroy (Sat 23 Aug) – Lots of our signature pieces for Kids will have HUGE reductions at our ONE DAY SALE.
- Hot Chocolate Festival at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 1 Aug – Sun 31 Aug) – 31 limited edition hot chocolates and hot chocolate tastings. READ THE REVIEW.
- Melbourne Mammas Market at Williamstown Town Hall (Sun 24 Aug) – Save 50%-80% off more than 100 designer kids labels, clothing, shoes, accessories, decor, toys & more.
- Rescue: Live at Scienceworks (Sat 23 Aug – Sun 24 Aug) – Every weekend until 14 Sept meet those who keep Victorians safe, including firefighters, coast guard and search dogs.