Market Week is a week-long celebration of Melbourne’s best-loved markets and this year’s theme is ‘Our Global Community’. Special events celebrating the multicultural tastes, sights, smells and sounds at Queen Victoria Market, South Melbourne Market, Prahran Market and Dandenong Market are running from Saturday 6 September to Sunday 14 September.
Here are my picks of the events suitable for families and under 5s, most of which are FREE:
- The Makers Hub (Sat 6 Sep – Sun 7 Sep) – The Makers Hub offers a creative space for workshops, demonstrations and interactive sessions during the Market Week. Try your hand at drumming workshops, book binding, beer making and kids and adult craft activities.
- Mooncake Festival (Sun 7 Sep) – Queen Street will come alive with a stunning display of lanterns, martial arts, dance and Chinese stalls at the annual Mooncake Festival. Enjoy free entertainment, authentic cuisines and activities for the whole family.
- World Fiesta (Sat 6 Sep) – Masterclass and tasting with David Zhou from the Oriental Teahouse and David’s, 11am-1pm. Roving entertainers and live music, cance workshops and performances, Flavours of the World Tasting tables, facepainting and free Little Chef Kids’ Activity between 11am and 1.30pm.
- The Great Dim Sim Giveaway (Fri 12 Sep) – For ONE HOUR ONLY (10am-11am) come along and get a FREE Dim Sim at the Market’s Great Dim Sim Giveaway. Tell your friends, get on your bikes and come see the team at South Melbourne Market. Dim Sims for your FREE dimmie! It’s as easy as that
- Kids Day Out (Sat 13 Sep) – Bring the kids along for craft where they can try their hand at painting, drawing, building and creating their own masterpieces. There will also be FREE face painting in the Food Hall10am-2pm. For Just $10 per child, Bookings essential morehere
- Dogs of The World (Sat 13 Sep) – Bring your pooch along for a doggy day out at the Dogs of the World Morning Tea. Your pampered pooch will enjoy puppychinos fromClement Coffee and organic peanut butter biscuits from The Pet Grocer. Prize giveaways for the best photos posted on Instagram using #southmelbournemarket #dogsoftheworld and gold coin donations welcome to support Monbulk Wildlife Shelter. Cecil Street, 10am-12pm. Morehere
- The Grand Bazaar (Sun 14 Sep) – As our grand finale to Market Week, you can dance to the beat of global music, wander the food and general merchandise stalls inside and outside the Market, eat your way through various continents’ cuisine and get the kids creating worldly craft. A multicultural feast for the senses. More here including the full music lineup.
- Full Moon Festival (Sun 14 Sep) – Fun Chinese and Vietnamese cultural celebration, which includes dances, feasting and moon cake eating. There are loads of festival activities for children including lantern making.