It’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe from Lady AB’s Sunday Cooking Show, what with moving house and exploring a new side of town for the blog etc etc.
But it was recently T’s birthday and Lady AB and I made him some sugar-free chocolate cupcakes (Baby 2.0 just licked the spoon). I wanted to share the recipe for an easy and delicious school holiday activity.
Yes, it is possible to make moist, chocolatey cupcakes without any sugar! I discovered this after I attended a masterclass with Cupcake Central and Natvia where we learnt to make cupcakes using Natvia baking and icing.
Natvia is a natural sweetener processed from the tips of organic, GM free stevia plants. They are a Melbourne-based company who now sell their sweetener in major Australian supermarkets and around the world. I met the founders of Natvia and their passion is to inspire people to make positive changes to their diet and lead a healthier lifestyle. Switching sugar to Natvia means you can still enjoy sweet treats without the calories or artificial chemicals found in other sugar alternatives.
Not-so-devilish Chocolate Cupcakes by Cupcake Central and Natvia
- 1 ½ cup plain flour, sifted
- ½ cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 cup Natvia Baking, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large free range eggs
- ½ cup vegetable or melted coconut oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line cupcake pans with cupcake wrappers.
2. Sift dry ingredients directly into mixing bowl.
3. Add to the dry mixture the oil, water and vanilla. Use paddle attachment and beat slowly.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time (to break down the enzymes) and mix thoroughly to help aerate the mixture.
5. Add vinegar, beat on low speed then 30 seconds high speed.
6. Scrape down bowl regularly and beat until mixture is smooth. The batter will be runnier than normal cupcake batter. Scoop batter into cupcake wrappers using an ice-cream scoop with a lever for perfectly shaped cupcakes!
7. Bake for 17 – 20 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
You can frost the cupcakes using a basic vanilla frosting (125g room temperature butter, 220g Natvia Icing, 1 tsp vanilla extract, pinch of salt. Cream on med/high for 3-5 minutes until fluffly and light). As I was lazy I just added a raspberry on top of each cupcake and dusted them all with Natvia Icing. Ta-dah!