Get out and about this week with this list of events and activities for under 5s. Can’t believe it’s June!
CBD / Docklands
- MSO Family Classic Kids 2 at Melbourne Town Hall (Sat 31 May) – Richard Gill joins the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for a not-to-be-missed edition of Classic Kids. Read our review.
- Mini Melissas Launch Party (Sat 31 May) – Mini-fashionistas are invited to a in-store party, with fun activities, giveaways and yummy treats inspired by our favourite furry friends.
- Library at The Dock opening (Sat 31 May) Come along to celebrate the opening of the new heart of Docklands. Free entertainment and activities for all ages.
- Italian National Day: Festa della Repubblica Italiana at NGV International (Sat 31 May – Mon 2 Jun) – Enjoy talks and music performances in the exhibition space as well as Italian inspired food offerings.
- Little Big Shots Film Festival at ACMI (Sat 31 May – Sun 1 May). See 108 of the best international and Aussie short films and animation collections on screen at ACMI, Federation Square.
- The Light in Winter at Federation Square (Sun 1 June – 22 June). Federation Square’s annual winter program of free events featuring local and international artists, performances and exhibitions exploring the cycles and circles of life.
- Jazzamatazz with Ali McGregor at Federational Square (Sun 1 June) – Shuffle to be-bop beats and hep-cat treats as the insanely talented (and mother of two)Ali McGregor proves that you are never too young to discover the wonders of jazz! Read our review.
- Pastello: Draw Act at Children’s Gallery at NGV International (Sat 10 May – 31 August) – Children will be invited to upend themselves, draw with crayon embellished shoes, use cutlery to leave their marks on tables and wear a crayon-clad helmet and let their heads do the drawing. Read our review.
- Fashion Detective: Come into the PArlour at NGV Australia (Sat 10 May – Sun 31 May) – Play games and activities that were popular during Victorian times. Read our review.
- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit at ACMI Kids’ Flicks (Sun 25 May – Sun 15 June) ACMI’s curated program of children’s films is showing the second DreamWorks Animation (in collaboration with Aardman) to take home the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature film. You can even visit the Dreamworks Animation exhibition afterwards. Read our review.
- Under 8s Ice Fun at Medibank Icehouse (Every Sunday) – unique toddler experience in shoes or skates.
- Wombat Stew at Plenty Ranges Theatre (Fri 30 May) – With a cast of 6 multi-talented performers, WOMBAT STEW is a “ mouth-watering” combination of story-telling, mime, music, dance and puppetry.
South / South-East / Bayside
- Mr McGee and the Biting Flea at Frankston Arts Centre (Fri 30 May) – Six whimsical Pamela Allen stories are weaved together using an assortment of props and found objects.
- Mums Morning at The Deck Brighton (Tue 3 Jun) – Have a coffee, meet fabulous mums and enjoy yummy morning tea specials kindly offered The Deck Brighton. Kiddie Create will be there too setting up craft activities for kids.
- Wombat Stew at National Theatre (Thu 5 Jun) – With a cast of 6 multi-talented performers, WOMBAT STEW is a “ mouth-watering” combination of story-telling, mime, music, dance and puppetry.
- World Environment Day at McClelland Sculpture Park (Thu 5 Jun) – Walk through the park and collect things along the way to make a bush bunyip.
- In Season Arts & Craft Sessions Kids Program at Jewish Museum Elsternwick (throughout May) – In Season has been designed specifically for children and families. It is jam-packed with plenty for kids to do, including dress-ups, arts and crafts, plus regular activities and workshops.
- All for Kids Market at Croydon (Sat 31 May) – 50 stalls with handmade, new and pre-loved items for babies and children.
- Celebrate Corroboree at Healesville Sanctuary (every weekend until end of May) – Healesville Sanctuary’s biggest celebration of Indigenous people and culture.
- ABC Kids festival at Watergardens (Sat 31 May and Sun 1 June) – Join The Octonauts, Peppa Pig, George and Lala Loopsy for an adventure including LIVE shows, craft workshops and more!
- Hobsons Bay Baykeepers in Williamstown (Sat 31 May). Celebrate our baykeepers at the beautiful Royal Yacht Club with free food and entertainment. All ages welcome. Bring your family!
- Little Kids Day in at Scienceworks (Mon 2 June) – A fun day especially for kids aged under 6 years, their parents and carers. Bring your little kids to Scienceworks and enjoy a day of fun activities. Read our review.
- Get Active with Snap Fitness at Airport West (Wed 4 Jun) – Want your kids to learn about fitness whilst having a tonne of fun? Bring them along to our ‘Get Active with Snap Fitness’ Kids Mornings activity where they will do all this and more!