Updated April 2016
I count my family very fortunate to live so close to Collingwood Childrens’ Farm.
Other than perhaps Melbourne Zoo, I can’t think of any other places in inner city Melbourne where you can see the sort of animals that feature so much in children’s picture books. When Lady AB was a toddler her introduction to farm animals in real life was her first visit to Collingwood Childrens’ Farm.
The farm not very big and there’s just enough animals there to keep kids interested. We spot cows, horses, ducks, chickens, pigs and goats in the pens, though it’s not clear whether you’re allowed to go inside the enclosures to touch or pet them.
At 10pm and 4pm the cows are milked and on weekends and school holidays there are often extra activities, such as feeding hay to the animals.
What’s even better about Collingwood Childrens’ Farm is that every month there’s a very popular farmers markets (held on the 2nd Saturday of every month) with beautiful fresh local produce and gourmet products sold on the large grassy (and often muddy) meadow inside the farm. When the farmers markets are on the entry fee is a gold coin donation and kids enter for free, making the Saturday morning very busy with families who (like us) can combine shopping with a kid-friendly outing. The markets have catered for the family crowd by even hiring a Mexican musician to play fun songs especially for the kids in the middle of the meadow.
- Wear gumboots
- Buy 1 get 1 free discounted tickets available through the Entertainment Book;
- 10am & 4pm cow milking, no extra charge.
- Limited street parking
- Paid car park next to the farm and across from Abbotsford Convent;
- Kids birthday party packages available – they normally book out 12 months in advance!
- On market day entry is $2 per adult. Children are free and you can stay all day.
- After 1pm normal Farm entry fees apply.
- Tickets sell out quickly. Every year the farm holds Winter Solstice Bonfire at the Farm.
Collingwood Childrens’ Farm, 18 St Heliers St, Abbotsford
Daily 9.15am to 4.45pm
Family (two adults & up to four children) $20/$1