For the Easter school holidays and the Melbourne International Comedy Festival the Arts Centre Melbourne have a special award-winning show Dr Brown Brown Brown Brown Brown and His Singing Tiger… Again! from Tuesday 31 March – Sunday 5 April 2015.
Bursting with madcap, clever, chaotic clowning and crazy stunts, this show will have you giggling for days after!
The original show Dr Brown and his Singing Tiger have previously won cool trophies for:
- Best Kids’ Show, Melbourne Fringe Festival
- Director’s Choice (Kids’) Award, Melbourne International Comedy Festival
- Best Presentation for Children Award, Adelaide Fringe Festival
Giveaway! Thanks to the Arts Centre Melbourne I have 2 x double passes (1 adult + 1 child) to the opening Tuesday 31 March performance at 11am. To win just follow the instructions below. Competition closes midnight Sunday 29 March. Please ensure that you’re definitely able to attend and good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Part 2 of the bumper school holiday activities for under 5s which covers Melbourne’s north, south, east, west. (Photo from our visit to Artea).
For activities in the CBD click here.
For Easter events only click here.
SOUTH / SOUTH-EAST / BAYSIDE
- Ventana Fiesta at Frankston (Fri 27 Feb – Sat 28 Mar) – month of free family friendly activities celebrating Latin mareican, Spanish and Portugese cultures.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar at Chapel off Chapel (24 March – 2 April) – Journey through Eric Carle’s incredible stories as they come to life on stage in this enchanting show. READ THE REVIEW.
- School holidays at Dandenong Market (Sat 28 Mar – Sun 12 Apr) – kids of any age can create crazy critters and cute, cuddly creatures.
- Habitots school holiday program (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – art and craft workshops for 2+ years.
- Kids In Motion school holidays program in Port Melbourne (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – half and full day active and sport programs.
- Fitness For Fun holiday program (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – Gym and acrobatic activities in Prahran, Windsor and East Hawthorn.
- Jack and the Beanstalk at Tivoli Theatre Malvern East (Mon 30 Mar– Sat 11 Apr) – Panto, traditional lemon drink and fairy bread!
- Learning by Doing at Caulfield South (Mon 30 Mar– Fri 10 Apr) – hands on woodworking class for 4 – 14 year olds.
- Fizz Kidz at Malvern East (Mon 30 Mar– Fri 10 Apr) -Each child takes home their own special all natural cosmetic creation from our holiday program’s events in Melbourne.
- Artea School Holiday program at Albert Park (Mon 30 Mar– Fri 10 Apr) – various activities and workshops.
- PrimeSCI! School Holiday Program Wantirna and Braeside (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – hands-on holiday science from Kindergarten to Year 8.
- The Art Factory at Malvern (Mon 30 Mar– Fri 10 Apr) – various activities and workshops
- School holidays at Sky High Dandenong (Mon 30 Mar – Sun 12 Apr) – Pony Rides; Face Painting; Games and Music with the rainbow fairy; Nine hole mini golf; Reptile display; creative magic; train rides; CFA Badge-making and Demonstrations, treasure hunts.
- Next Gen at The Space Prahran (Mon 30 Mar – Wed 1 Apr) – A school holiday dance program for 4 – 12 year olds. Half and full day programs available.
- School holidays at Gasworks Art Park (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – classes, workshops and performances.
- School holidays at South Melbourne Market (Wed 1 Apr – Fri 10 Apr) – workshops and classes, face painting and storytime.
- Wildlife Xposure at Prahran Market (Thu 2 Apr) – interactive wildlife demonstration.
- Easter Bunny at South Melbourne Market (Thu 2 Apr, Sat 4 Apr) – The Easter Bunny will be hopping around the market and you can pick up your fresh hot cross buns to take home.
- Melbourne’s Greatest Event Easter Egg Hunt (Sat 4 Apr) – Zaidee’s Rainbow Foundation bring to you Melbourne’s Greatest Easter Egg Hunt at Caulfield Racecourse.
- Veg Out Community Gardens Easter Egg Hunt (Sun 5 Apr) Easter Bunny, Fairy Sparkles, entertainment and egg hunt followed by sausage sizzle at Veg Out Community Gardens.
- Easter Fun Day at Rippon Lea (Sun 5 Apr) Easter egg hunts, fun activities, outdoor games, picnics and house tours at three National Trust properties at Rippon Lea, Barwon Park (Winchelsea) and Mulberry Hill (Langwarrin South).
- Mornington Railway Easter Bunny Train (Sun 5 Apr) – Join the Easter bunny on board as you ride the rails through to Mornington Station.
- Luna Park Easter Egg Hunt (Sun 5 Apr) – Easter Egg Hunt, petting zoo, rides, face-painting.
- Easter Lunch at The Piggery Cafe (Sun 5 Apr) – lunch, treats and an Easter egg hunt.
- Rumble in the Jumgle at Frankston Arts Centre (Thu 9 Apr) – Lkids can join the band and go wild with musical instruments, costumes and props.
- School holidays at Westfield Knox (Tue 31 Mar – Sat 11Apr) – make an Easter decoration or decorate a door hanger for HOME movie launch.
- School holidays at Healesville Sanctuary (From Sat 28 Mar) – Healesville Sanctuary’s biggest celebration of Indigenous people and culture.
- School holidays at Westfield Eastland (Mon 30 Mar – Sun 10 Apr) – hang out in Bikini Bottom, decorate a delicious Cat In The Hat cupcake and even design your very own pony.
- School Holiday programs at Heide Museum of Modern Art (Wed 1 Apr– Fri 10 Apr) – various activities and workshops.
- Box Hill Community School Holiday Program (Mon 30 Mar– Fri 10 Apr) – Kindy Clay and Kindy Craft classes for 3-5 year olds.
- Kew Traffic School (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – Children gain confidence and develop road safety skills, away from the dangers of our roads through a range of active opportunities.
- The Art Factory at Balwyn (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – various activities and workshops
- The Sleeping Beauty at Doncaster Playhouse (Mon 30 Mar – Sat 11 Apr) – live children’s shows aimed at children ages 3-8.
- Belgrave Carnival (Fri 3 Apr) – carnival with rides, food stalls, animal displays, face-painting, music and Easter Egg hunt. All proceeds donated to the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.
- Chirnside Park Country Club (Fri 3 Apr) – Family Fun Day with Easter Bunny & Egg Hunt, jumping castle, face painting, live entertainment, and more.
- Truffles Easter Trail at Hedgend Maze (Fri 3 Apr – Sun 5 Apr) – Special Easter Activities including make your own chocolate Easter Rabbit, make your own Pom-Pom bunny tail , colouring, puzzles and craft, wack the egg Mini Golf, non-chocolate Easter Egg Hunt, free Fairy Floss and meet Truffles the Easter Rabbit.
- Easter Family Fun with Free Egg Hunt at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Fri 3 Apr-Mon 6 Apr) – free chocolate tastings and Easter egg hunts.
- Giant Easter Egg Hunt Chirnside Park (Sat 4 Apr) – easter egg hunt, rides, face painting, sausage sizzle, music and other fun.
- Family Day: Easter Fun at Heide Museum of Modern Art (Sun 5 Apr) – Easter egg hunt in the sculpture park and make your own egg shell splatter painting.
- Easter Lunch Egg Hunt at Cafe Vue at Heide (Sun 5 Apr) – 2 course lunch, dessert buffet, Easter bunny and egg hunt.
- Easter Egg Hunt at SkyHigh Mt Dandenong (Sun 5 Apr) – As part of the annual Children’s Festival, Easter Sunday is all about an easter egg hunt with the easter bunnyand farmyard zoo.
- Emerald Lake Park (Sun 5 Apr)– Come along to Emerald Lake Park to enjoy a free Easter treasure hunt on Easter Sunday between 10am and 2pm.
- Oakridge Wines (Sun 5 Apr) – Annual Easter Egg Hunt on Easter Sunday.
- Belgrave Big Dreams Market (Sun 12 Apr) – discover original and bespoke design pieces, some of the yummiest and freshest produce the area has to offer, live music, bouncy castle and facepainting for the kids.
- School holidays at Watergardens Town Centre (Mon 23 Mar – Sun 19 Apr) – animatronic display, create your own mask, cookie decorating workshop.
- Australian Motoring Festival at Melbourne Showgrounds (Thu 26 Mar – Sun 29 Mar) – demonstration track, exhibitor areas, test drives, kids’ activities and new vehicle demonstrations.
- Kensington Community Festival at JJ Holland Park (Sun 29 Mar) – Celebrate multicultural Kensington with live world music, stalls, food, games, entertainment and giveaways.
- Run for Hope at Coulson Gardens (Sun 29 Mar) – face painting, jumping castle, art activities, sausage sizzle.
- Bunnies and chicks at Westfield Airport West (Mon 30 Mar – Thu 2 Apr) – cute baby bunnies & chicks in centre for the little ones to pet.
- School holidays at Scienceworks (Sat 28 Mar – Sun 12 Apr) – free Trick of Light show, newest daily show, The Light Spectacular and solar sleuths.
- School holidays at Werribee Open Range (From Sat 28 Mar) – Go on a guided gorilla patrol to help monitor, track and care for gorillas.
- The Art Factory at Essendon (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – various activities and workshops.
- Footscray City Gym Open Sessions (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – free play on gymnastic equipment for 1 hour.
- Maribyrnong City Council libraries (Mon 30 Jun – Fri 10 Apr) – various activities and shows happening at West Footscray, Yarraville and Maribyrnong libraries.
- Build & Rebuild at Footscray Library (Mon 23 Mar – Wed 15 Apr) – Join Artsbox artists-in-residence (Johanna Skladzien & me!) for some fun activities for families with an architecture, construction and sustainability theme.
- School holidays at Highpoint (Mon 30 Mar – Fri 10 Apr) – Decorate a cookie and Crayola Creative Centre.
- Bindu Creative Dance Footscray (Wed 1 Apr) – creative dance and design session.
- Bacchus Marsh EasterFest (Fri 3 Apr) – Easter egg hunts, games and entertainment, rides, mascots, food and market stalls. Raising money for Bacchus Marsh and Melton Regional Hospital.
- Giant Easter Egg Hunt at the Adventure Park Geelong (Sun 5 Apr) – Join Adventure Park Geelong for their Giant Easter Egg Hunt.
- School holidays at Little Creatures Collection (Tue 7 Apr – Fri 10 Apr) – four fantastic workshops on offer with your choice to do a half day or a full day.
- Prince and Princess Day at Sun Theatre (Wed 1 Apr) – screening of Cinderella, prizes for best costumes, tiara and crown making activities, free treats.
- Easter at Overnewton Castle (Wed 1 Apr, Wed 8 Apr) – school holiday high tea with Easter Egg hunt.
- Beauty and the Beast and Babe at Clocktower Centre (Thu 1 Apr, Thu 8 Apr) – See movies on stage.
- Easter Egg hunt at Bellarine Estate (Sun 5 Apr) – FREE entertainment, live music from Adventure playground, carnival rides for all ages and arts and craft activities.
- Singing for Little Monkeys with The Mudcakes (Tue 7 Apr) Join early childhood music specialists Rick and Sherry for a lovely group sing-a-long that includes vocal warm ups and yoga exercises, age appropriate action songs, nursery rhymes and rounds accompanied by quirky instruments and our friend the flying monkey.
- Little Art Big Art free workshops in Altona (Fri 10 Apr, Sat 11 Apr) – little and big artists are invited to take part in creating a community artwork.
For activities in the CBD click here.
For Easter events only click here.
If you need school holiday ideas for school-aged children then check out the listings at Meetoo.com.au.
T’Gallant Winery in Red Hill came recommended as a child-friendly winery restaurant so we decided to check out their famous pizzas.
The vineyard’s vista is stunning, with rolling hills spreading out like a carpet across Main Ridge, Mornington Peninsula.
T’Gallant has a high end restaurant La Barraca (which apparently is reopening 1 March 2014) but for now focuses only on casual dining in their bistro Sputino.
The prime seats are by the window facing out onto the vines, as the space is rather dim. It’s kind of like a fancy log cabin, with solid timber tables and rough-hewn timber posts. If it’s not too hot the outside parasols offer some shade and actually provide a better view.
Sputino has a very small menu – basically pizzas and a few salads. That’s ok with us as our family loves pizza!
We ordered a half magherita ($17) and half capricciosa ($17) which came presented on a rectangular wooden paddle. The pizzas were good without being amazing – the base was crusty rather than being crispy and pliable like some of the best pizzas I’ve had.
Just across the path from Sputino is the cellar door, which is open daily. T’Gallant is reknowned for their Pinot Grigio so it’s a must try.
T’Gallant is part of Wine Food Farmgate, a collection and trail of the best of Mornington Peninsula’s wineries, eateries and farmgate providores. For other child-friendly places on the Wine Food Farmgate trail try Flinders Hotel and Green Olive at Red Hill.
- pram access;
- high chairs; and
- standard menu suitable for children.
T’Gallant, 1385 Mornington-Flinders Road, Main Ridge, Mornington Peninsula 03 5989 2992
7 Days 10:00am – 5:00pm
If your kids are little foodies like mine then they will love joining Lady AB and I for a Kids’ Gnocchi Cooking Class at the Queen Victoria Market.
The Fisher & Paykel Social Kitchen is a temporary cooking school that has been set up in the Queen Victoria Market. It’s been decked out like the Masterchef kitchen, with rows of long stainless steel benches, all the kitchen equipment you’ll ever need and awesome Fisher & Paykel appliances.
Daniel Tonin of Pasta Classica is holding a Gnocchi Master Class for junior pasta makers on Sunday 12 April 11:30-12:45pm. In the 1 hour hands-on class kids will learn how to make gnocchi while you relax and enjoy a glass of wine, antipasto and a cheese platter!
At the end of the class the gnocchi will be served up to everyone for lunch with a Napoli sauce prepared by Daniel.
Note that Kids’ healthy snacks (juice and fruit) and aprons will be provided and the class is suitable for kids 4+ years.
Giveaway! Thanks to Pasta Classica and the Fisher & Paykel Social Kitchen I have 2 x passes for 1 adult and 1 child to participate in a Gnocchi Master Class on Sunday 12 April 11:30-12:45pm.
To win just follow the instructions below. The competition closes midnight Monday 6 April (Easter Monday) and the 2 winners drawn randomly and notified by email. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway